Gargoyle Gecko Cage Question

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by noahboa1, Jan 10, 2010.

1. noahboa1

noahboa1 New Member

Hello, I have a wooden vivarium that I made out of an old entertainment center. It's 2ft wide, 2 ft 2.5 inches tall, and 1ft 4 inches deep. I was wondering if I could keep a gargoyle gecko in it.
    Here is a picture of it:
    1_10_10_004_resize.jpg
    The screen is larger than it looks the wooden part only comes about 11 inches. There's a plexiglass front that's not shown in the picture.
    Please reply letting me know thanks, Noah.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i think it would do really well for a garg

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

The only thing I would watch for would be damage over time to the wood from the higher humidity needs of gargs and other rhacodactylus.

If possible, you could always get some cheap plexi and line the entire inner surface of the enclosure and just silicone the sides...It'll be a little more work but that should help to maintain the integrity of the entertainment center. On the plus side, your garg will ikely have an easier time clinging to the sides of a plexi enclosure because I've found that my rhacs have some difficulty keeping a grip on smooth wood furniture.

Or you can seal and waterproof it to keep it protected as best as possible, =) whatever works. I'd just hate to see you make a nice enclosure and then it fail in a few years from the spraying and humidity

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. noahboa1

noahboa1 New Member

Oh yeah I sealed it when I first made it. The entire cage so far holds 2 leopard geckos and a bearded dragon. But as you can see it can hold more!
    Thanks for your advice i'll be getting him soon, he's a striped gargoyle I think and he's $110 at the reptile specialty store, the gal who works there is extremely nice and i actually got to hold him! He is very friendly and am looking forward to getting him when i get paid!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Very nice cage! I'm sure your garg will love it! :eek: Let us know when you get him.