Future Herp Needs Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by SolidSnake, Oct 12, 2002.

1. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Embryo

I am in high school in Toronto, Ontario and have always been facinated by reptiles and amphibians alike. I have never owned one for my parents don't really consider them a pet.

My question is, I strongly consider a future career in herpetology. I have researched around for info, but still lack many details. If it wouldn't be to much of a hassle I would like to know how I could become one.

Thanks a million,
    Justin Future Herp (aKa SolidSnake)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, while there's no real substitute for hands-on practical experience, reading and researching as much as you can find will help :)

Make sure though, that when you see something that looks like an important piece of information, fire up a search engine, and check at least another dozen or so sites to confirm information is factual.

There's a LOT of myths floating around regarding reptiles, and more and more of those are being quashed almost daily with hard solid proof.

So yup, reading and researching is the best way to learn more if you can't get hands-on experience (yet) :)

Just keep bugging your parents, tell them it's not a pet, it's an observational experiment that lasts the lifespan of whatever reptile you decide to acquire :)

If you've not had any reptiles before, as you say, then start off with something simple like a leopard gecko or a corn snake. While they require just as much love and attention as any other animal, their care requirements, and caging requirements (and therefore cost) are pretty minimal in comparison to something like a bearded dragon.

Whilst beardies are fairly easy to care, there are a lot of things that can crop up which can be very harmful, even fatal, if you're unprepared. And their care n' caging is a lil expensive. Don't go for an iguana, there are too many of those being neglected, abused & abandoned as it is - but if you do like the look of an iguana, get one from a rescue.

Head on over to Reptile Rescue, Canada. They're based in Hamilton, Ontario, and they get quite a few iguanas, as well as other species of reptiles, through their doors looking for new homes.

Get your parents involved, and show them how much you really appreciate reptiles, and how keen you are to succeed with this. If they care about your future, eventually they'll give in :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Embryo

I've have some problems with researching. Mostly due to the fact that I get American sites which have many differences and similiarities.
    Also I probaly will go to the Reptile Show & Sale or the Reptile Expo both in Ontario. And who knows, maybe I could coax my parents into buying a corn snake or something :).
    Thanks for helping! If you ever have any more ideas or info don't hesitate to inform me! Info is getting quite hard to find :mad:!

:DThank you:D

[Edited on 14/10/2002 by SolidSnake]