Foods for uros?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by JoshThaxton, Feb 14, 2009.

1. JoshThaxton

JoshThaxton Embryo

Hey guys I feed my mali and egyptian uros collard greens, mustard greens, and kale for greens mostly collards and kale though. I also give them dandelions form the yard which when I put it in the cage they come charging for. I use to give my mali strawberrys I just started giving them back to him they are cut up pretty good so he can eat them. I have gave some to my Egyptian but it doesn't look like she eats them. I also give them this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754878 they both love it. My uro looks like she doesn't eat anything in her food except for the dandelions which you can tell are gone. But before I empty her dish out I look to see if she ate the the iguana bites and she has. I never see her eat anything so she must eat early in the morning before I get up. Is the fruit and iguana bites ok to give them? The petsmart guy told me the iguana bites were great to give them. Thanks for your help!!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Its fine to give them small amounts of fruit, and small amounts of the iguana bites. However, you wantthe primary diet to be greens.

Kale contains calcium binders called Oxalates, so it should be given sparingly.

Endive, escarole, spring mix, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens are all great veggies to feed. Try offering some endive, they tend to love it.

You can also feed some Mazuri tortoise pellets, these are very nutritional.

Check out www.deerfernfarms.com, they have a great care section and in it they have a great section on feeding.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JoshThaxton

JoshThaxton Embryo

Thanks MimC I never have heard of endive what is that exactly?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

Its also called "curly chicory" thats what they call it at my hannafords anyway...

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Josh,
    Yet again I agree with everything MimC says regards greens etc. :blink:
    Anything that is chickory based is always good. Here in the UK it's also refered to as "Frisee". Escarole is also a variation of chickory, so I understand.
    The pellets should be crushed into near powder form and can be sprinkled onto the greens.
    My Egyptian doesn't like fruit much or even butternut squash. Egyptians seem to thrive better of just lots of greens, well mine seems to anyway. A pot of finch seed in tank is also a good thing, mine "snacks" regular of it.
    I have a small cap full of calcium powder in there as well.
    My setup has very high UVB, using a solar meter I get readings of, up to, 300µw/cm², which is very close to natural unshaded sunlight, that the Egyptians would normally encounter in the wild. So I dont give him much extra in the way of calc/vit supplements, he gets them but not regular.