Florida Turtle Identification Help

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by pantherash, Nov 23, 2009.

1. pantherash

pantherash New Member

I posted this in the turtle forum, but no one seems to be in there...so I'm trying here. Someone I know got 2 turtles in Florida a couple years ago as babies from the wild I guess and is looking to get rid of them. She doesn't know what species they are...and I don't know if I want to take them, but I definately want to know what they actually are either way. This is a picture she sent (not great phone picture) anyone have any ideas? And they are only maybe 4-5 inches I'd say from what my friend described. The only thing I could really find that looks something like that is a river cooter...but I'm from Massachusetts so never saw one in person...any ideas appreciated!
    turtle.jpg

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

any idea where they were collected in Florida?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pantherash

pantherash New Member

unfortunately I don't know that either! I was given very little details...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I would say that it's a Florida Peninsular Cooter. I have a male that is 14 months old and is about 5" long, so it sounds like these guys might be under less than ideal conditions in terms of heat and/or food availability. They are very active and great little turtles, but you need very heavy filtration, especially with two turtles, and frequent water changes. I have a channel catfish to help keep my tank clean and I will be getting some crawfish from my Bio 509 teacher when they get a little larger so that my catfish and turtle won't eat them; they too will help keep the tank clean. I also have 5 large goldfish and about a dozen rosy minnows, and I vaccuum out the gravel and do a 1/3 water change about once a week. Algae will also be an issue as you have to have two different lights on the tank, one with a heat bulb and one with a UVB bulb. Keep us posted on whether or not you get them. I would recommend it!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. pantherash

pantherash New Member

Thanks for your advice, but I don't think I'm going to take them...I already have a 20 gallon long of Fire Belly Toads and some African Dwarf Frogs...and a cat that will all be leaving my house when I move haha These turtles are in a 20 gallon long like the one I already have, so I clearly would have to put a lot of work and money into just giving them the adequate amount of space, nevermind the proper diet and whatnot. This person's attitude is more along the lines of..."they haven't grown in a while so they can stay in this size tank" which is not my attitude, especially if these will get on the quite large side. One day I'll have some :) But maybe knowing what they are she could find someone who really does want them. Thanks again

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I'd love to take them if I was close to you, but I have enough of a time keeping my 40G breeder clean with only one! Hope she finds a good home for them.