Florida law and raising roaches.

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by jenkznza, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jenkznza

jenkznza Embryo

I've emailed several suppliers of roaches with no response so I'm going to ask you fine folks. Is it legal to raise lobster roaches in Florida. I've noticed that several suppliers state that they will not ship to Florida. We plan on moving there in a couple of year and want continue raising these for our own use, but I don't want to do anything illegal.

Thanks in advance.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xile

xile Member

Yes. beardiedragon does it....
    I'm going to start soon aswell.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jenkznza

jenkznza Embryo

Great! Thanks for the heads up.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

No, the only roach species allowed in Florida (and that's with the proper permits from the USDA) are death heads, false death heads (discoidalis), green banana roaches, and the common house roach.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jenkznza

jenkznza Embryo

Ok here is the response I received from the University of Florida.

Evidently they are under the impression that this species does not exist in Florida.

I'll have to research these species to see if they will meet our needs. I'm not sure that I want to move to a state that will not allow me to produce my feeder roaches. LOL

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

they can't catch you if you keep it to yourself.. what are they gunna do, arrest you for having roaches? i'de like to see any cop walk into a house and specifically identify a certain type of roach... that'd be the day..

12. jenkznza

jenkznza Embryo

I'd agree in most states, but Florida has an extreme problem with exotic species so their cracking down. I spoke with an investigator last week and she indicated that people are busted quite often for possessing potentially invasive species.

She also told me that it was not uncommon to spot large pythons roaming around Miami. The cities are pretty open as to what herps you can possess. We're still anticipating a move there in a couple of years, but I'll have to get rid of the lobsters before we go. Its too bad. I really enjoy raising these guys as much as my like eating them.