First time with the chirpers...

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Panther_Shadow83, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Panther_Shadow83

Panther_Shadow83 Embryo

This is my first time that I will be raising crickets, and I have a couple of questions...

1. I'm keeping them in a 'Kricket Keeper,' which has four tubes that they can hide in and the tubes can be removed for feeding. These crickets won't make my room stink, will they? If they will, any ideas on how to stop the smell...?

2. Are crickets generally easy to raise? I've seen things at pet store called 'cricket bites,' and you just put a couple in the feeder and it supplies them with necessary food and water. Is it a good idea to use these?

3. How long do crickets (about half-inch long ones) generally live for, and how many should I keep at a time? My mom will literally kill me if we have to drive to the pet store once a week to buy more crickets... and taking my bike is out of the question, because it'll be winter when I get my anole (and crickets), and either way, the Pet Store is in the next town over.

Thanks to all who reply.

~Jessica :wink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

most people say there cricket containers stink but mine have never smelled. As long as you have good ventilation. I feed mine lots of veges like carrots, lettuce, along with fish flakes and cricket food in those bags. when a cricket is born they usually last about 5-6 weeks. one half an inche is about an 2-3 week old cricket. how big is your cricket keeper.i had about 1000 hatchlings in my 10 gallon until they were 4weeks old never smelled even with poor ventilation.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Panther_Shadow83

Panther_Shadow83 Embryo

Hmm I think it's a one or two gallon keeper, it claims it can hold up to 150 crickets.

~Jessica

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

Maybey pin head crickets... Best bet is to buy a see through rubbermaid or sterilite I forgot which one that is clear and slipperry. but a 10 gallon one can house about 1500 of them as they will grow. I put my 2k crickets in my 10 gallon that are now half inch but were wuater inch crickets in my closet. But then again my closet is large and wide. My crickets do not smell. I only put most of the lid on it. They do not jump out and I keep my clothes in there. They do not smell. The only smell you would smell is the overload of cricket poop, shed, not enough ventilation, or the mold.

Half inchers really depend on how healthy you keep them. Quality gutloads like cricketfood.com or lllreptile.com will keep them alive for a month alot of times more. Those cricket bites are good. They have extra calcium and give a good water source. Baby crickets die on it sometimes though, it smells after a period of time, crickets go for phsphuros more then calcium. which means if you have a loaded calcium gutload and those water bites it may od on crickets.

You should really think about asking your mom about buying crickets, and gutloads online. Crickets are way cheaper then 10 cents per. And the gutloads are amazing. LLLREPTILE.com is very cheap. You have to order by monday then you recieve on thursday. You can get 1k crickets 16.99 any size. I hear wormman.com is good.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Panther_Shadow83

Panther_Shadow83 Embryo

OK, thank you, I'll discuss buying online with my parents.

Thanks again.

~Jessica