Finally got a crested!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by tkiller, Mar 7, 2010.

1. tkiller

tkiller New Member

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a while, but i've good news! Probably fairly obvious, but I finally picked up a crested gecko from my LPS. I've done my research (it has been a while, but did some refreshing over the last few days). Pretty young little guy (or girl) so at this point I have him set up in a 10 gallon flipped long-ways. Unfortunately I've been having a bit of a problem. I went and bought some plastic/artificial plants for the time being, but now I'm having a hard time getting them to stay up in the tank. Anybody out there who uses artificial plants have any suggestions or pointers for keeping them attached? Right now I just have them stuck up using a lot of tape and fishing line. Thanks so much!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

are they the ones with the suction cups? if so i either lick or spray the suction cup then stick it to the side of the tank. also wipe down the glass first jsut to make sure there isnt any dirt, that helps to make them stick.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tkiller

tkiller New Member

Unfortunately no they don't have suction cups... He was kinda an impulse buy, so i'm using what little fake foliage I had at the time... :unsure: (from my old freshwater aquarium, but don't worry, i washed them off very well before putting them in there). In the next few days I'm probably going to see about getting some suction cups if what I've got set up now doesn't cooperate.

One other thing i've noticed since moving him into the big tank is that he seems to like trying to climb on the top side of the tank, and he keeps slipping. Is this normal, or is there some way for me to keep him from doing that?

Another thing, is that he seems to show little to no interest in crickets whatsoever. He's been eating baby food mixed with CGD (trying to get him switched over completely) fairly regularly, especially considering I've had him for such a short time. I have been keeping some crickets in with him (in a jar of course) but he's yet to eat any. I've noticed him seemingly staring at them occasionally, is he trying to figure a way in, or just not interested?

*Edit* For anyone that is curious, I do intend to upload photos, just as soon as he'll let me get some good ones. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tkiller

tkiller New Member

Here are the photos I promised.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teach920

teach920 New Member

Congrats on your new Crestie....he/she is a Cute one.......for what it is worth, some Cresties never really do eat Crickets or other live prey... I have 4, and while 2 of them eat the live prey...the other 2 eat CGD only....also, in regards to the "sliding on the tank"...I seem to notice this happening when my Crestie is about to shed...if so, make sure you are keeping hte humidity up so that the shed will be successful.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

What a cute little guy! Congrats!

I simply hang plastic foliage on the driftwood chunks in my R. auri's cage.