female Leo, male fat-tail

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Reid, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Reid

Reid Banned

Can I keep them together?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I don't know if that would be the best idea. Though they are very similar, they're still differen't species and it's never really reccommended to. I'm not completely sure on this--but, I think the AFT's may be more aggresive and anyways, any male animal is. You might want to wait for some other input though from people that know more :)

JEFFREH likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

They should not be kept together - they come from different evnironments and areas of the planet, have slightly different care requirements, and are two completely different species (different genus too). It's generally never recommended to mix different species in vivaria - there are stress factors from differences in care and from each other, and there are also different species of natural microfauna on the skin and in excrement that may be perfectly fine and safe for one species but could be pathogenic for another.

Leos with leos, AFT's with AFT's = )

Also might note - even same species do not always get along. The only combinations that work long term are female to female pairings, and even still there is no guarantee that they will like each other even if they are of similar size.

StikyPaws312 and lizardgurl87 like this.