FEEDING MY BABY URO!!!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by babyuromastyx, Nov 28, 2008.

1. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

Hey everyone Im new to this but i look on sometimes for care on lizards and it really helps but i have a few Q's

I just got a new mali (names Baby) :). And i really need help!!! ok so i set up my enclosure for her by going from ur guyses suggestions and she really enjoys it but i am having a feww minor ok BIG problems. ok ive read on some care sheets that they slow down in the winter and sleep more and eat less but i dont no if this is true? this goes along with my problem she wont EAT!!! :) :) I have collard greens And canary bird seed mixed and weve tried three other suggested greens but she still wont eat even with no bird seed mixed!!! im worried that she will become dehydrated. i got her 4 days ago and she seemed fine and active and still does. ive moniterd her eating by putting in a certain amount and seeing if she ate and still doesnt!!!

Do you guys feed your uros daily or is there a certian amount of days inbetween they need to digeest i dont no what to do and it would really help if u could give me suggestions on there feeding habits it wuld rock.

i also owend a beardie who never had this problem she died last year very young from a disease she contracted from her old pet mates i guess. :)

if it helps i got her at petland in janesville from a really nice worker there she gave me tons of advice cuase i geuss she cares for them befor they go to the store.
    ps do you think humidity would have anything to do with this?? i just took out his water bowl cause i read humidity affects them alot!?!

thanks a bunch Wren & baby

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    You have only had her 4 days, give her time to adjust to new suroundings.
    We need to know a lot more about your setup before we can give any suggestions.
    Size of tank
    temperatures at warm end cool end and under the basking spot
    How are you measuring those temps. We need exact temps.
    What UVB light have you got and how near can the mali get to it.
    How many hides and where are they.
    They need to be small as they like very tight spaces to sleep in.
    What substrate are you using.

I would cut out the seed for now till she starts eating greens, use, or try, endives, escarole, dandilion leaves, mustard greens, turnip green and not a lot of collards.
    They get all their water from the veggies so NO water bowl.
    If you can give us the info above then we can try and sort out your problems.

In answer to your other posts, its normal for them to try and climb the walls :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

thanks i was worried about the climbing thing

I think its a 20 gallon right now

height-1ft 2in
    lenght- 2ft 7in
    width- 1ft 2in

she has 2 hiding spots both low & tight enough for her to move freely but feel safe and comfortable

i use white proso millet from Zilla

basking area-95f-100f 110f on warm days
    cold end- 85f- 90f
    and a heating pad under tank

uv light is about 11 inches a way and covers alittle more then half the tank i dont no what kind though

i really appreciate the help i dont want to go through another funearal :) :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    You really need a bigger tank, 40gallon breeder minimum otherwise you cant get correct heat gradient. If you can get a 75 or 90 it would save you in the long run as that's what it will need as an adult.
    I assume you have a lamp above the warm end, this must give you, directly under the lamp, a basking spot of between 120-130F, other wise it cant digest food and could be the reason for not eating.
    I would get rid of the heat mat, uro's like nearly all lizards get their heat from above. If it lays on it for any length of time it could burn itself. They dont feel heat on their bellies.
    If you can add some rocks or logs under the UVB so it can get a bit closer will help a great deal.
    The tube should be marked at one end with make and power, it should be at least 10% UV.
    If it's only a baby then I would either use paper-towel or tile as substrate and is also far easier to clean than millet. Personally I would never use it as it will eat it and if it happens to eat where it's been to bathroom could cause internal problems.
    If you make the initial changes, asap, bigger tank and higher basking temp, you should see an improvement, also feed the food mentioned in previous post.
    Keep handling to an absolute minimum, it will be stressed out by the change of enviroment and lack of heat.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

bruno thanks, youve really helped and i appreciate that (so does Baby)lol this will really help. and ill be able to get the arrangments done very soon. and thanx fot helping me with the climbing thing. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Always pleased to help.
    Keep us posted when you get the changes made.
    You should see a big improvement in him.

12. MimC

MimC Moderator

Sorry for the delay!

Im with Bruno on this one - a bigger tank is a must, these guys are SO active, even as babies they will use every inch of the cage. A 40gallon breeder will suffice for a couple years since these fellas are slow growers.

Proper basking temps are vital - without acsess to basking temps of 120-130 these lizards do not thrive. Make sure you are measuring these temps with a digital thermometer as dial or stick on varieties are very inacurate - the probe of the digital thermometer should be in the basking spot, measuring 120-130.

Uros are great fun and very hardy if provided the proper environment.

Keep us posted!

13. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

ill try to post as often as i can thanks again

14. TJleos

TJleos Embryo

Hi!!!!! baby is so cute!!! guess who this is.....its taylor.

15. babyuromastyx

babyuromastyx New Member

haha good job u found the site its pretty cool huh :) lol