Feeding baby cresteds

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Spitz, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Spitz

Spitz New Member

I just got my two new baby cresteds (one is a normal and one is a red). I already know what to do about everything else except the feeding. I know they will eat live small crickets but when will i be able to introduce the crested gecko diet where I do not have to give them live crickets? Is it when they are adults or can i introduce it now? Also, will they eat mealworms? and how often should I give them vitamins if I am feeding them everyday or every other day? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

mealworms are pretty big and it isnt reccommended because they could have pesticides on them. i personally feed my cresties strictly on a turkey/fruit/crested gecko diet mix, with crix maybe once every month just for some fun. if they will eat the crested gecko diet now then go for it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spitz

Spitz New Member

thanks. i was thinking of trying it out while they are young so that they can get used to the diet and then giving them crickets every once in a while.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Are they from the same place? If not they should be quartined from each other for at least 30 days. But if you already have them in seperate cages thats great.

Live prey is IMO the best thing to offer more often. It provides excerise and its just instinct to hunt. Babies need more protein, So I would offer crickets at least a few times a week if you are going to use solely babyfoods/commercial diets. Persoanlly I think the diet and sole use of babyfood is better for adults, but crickets should still be offered on occasion.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spitz

Spitz New Member

They are from the same place and they are the same size. They are from Dragon's Den and they are very healthy. I was hoping I could use the t-Rex diet plus crickets maybe once a week or so. I was thinking of using baby food the meat and fruit kind but i dont want it to spoil and have alot left.
    Is t-rex diet out altogether or good i use it as their main source of food with live crickets maybe once a week and some baby food now and then? I was thinking of mixing the baby food in with a little bit of the t rex diet to get them used to it.
    Thanks for the advice and respond as soon as possible.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

T'rex crested gecko diet is not out all altogether. Keep getting them used to it, its full of good stuff. I would feed offer crickets at least twice a week if I were you though. And if they are young keep in mind they need to be fed everyday.

12. Spitz

Spitz New Member

It is best to feed them at night and spray them at night right?

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yea, I usually spray the cage 2-3 times a day. When I wake up in the morning, ll lightly mist sometime in the middle of the day (not directly on the gecko, its asleep). And heavely at night, especially before feeding. And because they are nocturnal you do feed them at night.

Be sure if their are any prey item still moving around in the cage at morning to take them out!

14. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

...you should contact Dragon's Den & ask them exactly what they're feeding on, this way you'l know one way or the other.

.....as far as CGD (T-Rex) goes, I know owners who raise their cresites from hatchlings, exclusivley on CGD alone & had no problems whatsoever.

15. Spitz

Spitz New Member

Thansk for the advice. I have actually already emailed him and asked. I just fed them so small crickets and they took them aggresively. Yay!

16. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

If they're babies like you said.....you're(they're) better off with the crickets anyway. IMHO. :wink:

17. CrestedGecko1991

CrestedGecko1991 New Member

Cool, my crested gecko had eggs a while ago and they just hatched befor Christmas!