Feeding a Savannah Monitor is chicken or meat ok?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by jake12, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jake12

jake12 New Member

could you feed chicken or meat to a savanna monitor if you could what age could they start to eat it at?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

I believe so. Im not sure what age as i have never owned one. But i have seen boneess steaks, raw chickens, raw turkey(deskinned) fed to them on animal planet. But they were pretty huge. About atleast 4 feet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

it should not be very often, but chicken can be offered as a snack every couple months or so. NEVER feed *raw* meat to any animal, though, especially reptiles which already have high levels of salmonella in their systems. the chicken must be well-cooked!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Up and until a year, they should only be fed superworms and pinkies. After that, they should mostly be fed fuzzies, and then larger. You can feed them chicken, after a year, but it must be cooked as Hummingbird said.

Rebecca

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

first of all, no they don't . . . second of all, zoo's are NOT perfect and often have low budgets/poor managment so we don't always do something just because "the zoo does it".

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the Bronx Zoo (couple blocks away from my house) has never fed thier sav's chicken only rats and mice. they doo feed the crocodiles and gators chicken though

13. keenathon

keenathon Embryo

i feed my argus raw meat every other week. raw chicken breast and ground turkey. nothing wrong with that at all. he or she loves it

14. FertGirl

FertGirl New Member

"up and until a year, they should only be fed superworms and pinkies", *sigh*, my sav was 15wks (aprox) when i got him at 6'', now at 9 months 25'', if i were to be feeding ONLY worms and pinkies, my bill would be quite large, he's now eating jumpers

Feeding raw is NOT good. Not to mention feeding chicken breasts is a very STUPID thing to do, it's very fatty, they need bone, as in WHOLE animals, feed rabbits if they get that big for gods sake! they need WHOLE ANIMALS!

Feeding just meat is too fatty, and is EXTREAMLY UN-HEALTHY

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

feeding raw is GOOD , as long as it is turkey not chicken. i fed my sav raw turkey (with the bones crushed into it), raw steak, and mice. i had him when he was 5" and when he was 7months old he was 22".

16. FertGirl

FertGirl New Member

i was told that it's bad....srry, thank you for corecting me klik

17. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

The issue with raw poultry is not whether the animal enjoys eating it, or even the nutritional value. It is unadvisable because raw poultry (not just chicken) is a major carrier of salmonella as well as several other harmful microorganisms. It is also true (as someone usually points out) that reptiles usually will not get sick from eating tainted raw meat. This is also not the issue to be concerned with. The problem lies in the fact that once the meat is eaten by the reptile, the harmful bacteria from the meat will tend to thrive and multiply in your animal's saliva and in the mouth tissues, which can then make you very very sick the next time you get bitten.

Additionally, many types of raw meat (pork is one of the worst) have a nasty tendancy to carry many species of parasites which are then introduced into your animal and could lead to serious infestation problems or death.

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

pork should never be fed to a herp. but as for raw turkey there is nothing wrong with it. they naturally eat raw food. whether you feed raw or not will still give your animal a "dirty" bite. and KaMi where have you been bro

19. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

raw lean steaks (beef) they like the best of course raw chicken is unacceptable by ANY means. chickens live and eat thier own filth crocs, caimen and alligators can whole chickens but that is all. turkey is okay just not on regular basis they still love them good old rats, mice, rabbits. u can even try seafood if u like mine have a taste for shrimp. i worked in a restaraunt and brought it home alot. use it as a treat he will love you for it

20. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

1 more most important thing is that if u do feed your monitor meat of any kind to make sure u put some reptile vitamins on it to supplement the vitamins lost by getting no bone like brought up before. vit c is CRUCIAL to any reptile

21. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

1 more most important thing is that if u do feed your monitor meat of any kind to make sure u put some reptile vitamins on it to supplement the vitamins lost by getting no bone like brought up before. calcium is CRUCIAL to any reptile

22. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

I use turkey as a good supplement all the time, no worries some supplement and you are fine, its not a staple but good none the less, good for picky eaters too. as for beef and chicken i use it to fatten up my females when i think they are going to cycle as it works more effectively than mice and small rats, once the cycle is over return to the normal diet. Lean ground beef is the best for it, but if you can you should stick to whole prey items.

23. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

varanidfan made some very good points right there, 1 more thing to mention, i have never met a monitor that didnt appreciate a good piece of steak. my sav loved it.