Feeder crickets

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by ace9916, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ace9916

ace9916 New Member

Morning

I bought 1000 crickets as feeders, a huge amount of them died real quick. the rest died lasted about 3 weeks and then started dieing out as well. I keep them in a large rub maid bin. I believe its about 24 or 36 gal. I have food for them that I purchased, and a water dish, egg cartons. Am I doing something wrong , temperature or something else or is that common.
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

Do you have a lid on the bin? I have ventilated lids on my bins....or if the crickets can't get out of the bin, there is no need for a lid.

I would get rid of the water dish...it can make it too humid.

Make sure there is airflow between the egg cartons. BTW, I don't use egg cartons that eggs have come in...I use the ones that come in the boxes with the crickets.

I feed them an assortment of greens such as dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, ROMAINE lettuce (for moisture), etc. and veggies such as sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrot, white potato, squash, zucchini, celery leaves, etc.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ace9916

ace9916 New Member

I have a lid , i drilled over 50 holes into it, i give them vegies also as a source of water. As for the water dish its a bottle of water cut open, with little ramps at 3 sides.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Heika

Heika Moderator

I moved this thread over the feeder forum, since it has nothing to do with chameleons~!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ace9916

ace9916 New Member

Yeah sorry i didn't notice the Feeder Forum till after I wrote this.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shogunswife

shogunswife Embryo

hello i also need some help

i want to set up a feeder cage and i need to be cheap as possible about it i have asked around at pet smart and pet supermarket and they have told me to get the powder that turns into gel like water and i can put potatoes and other vegies in there to feed them. i just dont know how many to buy and how long do they take to lay eggs and the incubation period of that. i plan to set them up in a rubbermaid tub outside so the temp will be stable for them. if you can please gelp me with this . thanks

12. feedersinc

feedersinc Embryo

RE: hello i also need some help

i had a hard to breeding crickets, roaches are 10x better. on my site is a nice tutorial for breeding crickets. i would suggest to start with atleast 1000 for breeding!

13. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

When breeding how many of the crickets can you feed to your animals and still keep the colony going?

14. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

that would depend on how many you produce... getting crickets to lay eggs, then hatch and grow is not that hard.. what is hard is getting a cycle going where you always have babies through adults available to feed to your animals. it really does take a bit of space to do that.. and a fair amount of time.

certain species of roaches are much easier to produce..

15. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

I've heard a lot about roaches, but what animals eat them?

16. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

most any insectivorous reptile will eat roaches... lobster roaches are small and breed like mad but can climb glass. Discoid roaches dont climb glass breed slow but get alot bigger. I like the Discoids.. they dont climb, no smell and i always have feeder roaches of various sizes... setting up a colony can take a bit of time if you are starting with babies... not to mention the price of them has become ridiculous... but once you get a colony going you will never need to buy crickets again.

17. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Can they be a primary food source for anoles or leopard geckos?

18. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

I already feel like replacing my gigantic cages of crickets with these guys. Does any know any breeders and if Leos and Anoles like them?