feed my corn a feeder fish?????should i

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by snowtigers5, Jan 31, 2004.

1. snowtigers5

snowtigers5 Embryo

i was thinking of putting a small bowl with a feeder guppy in my tank to see if big red would eat him. any thought on if this is a good idea????
    just curious thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

To be honest, there's not much point. Even if he will eat them, he's better on a good diet of rodents that are in turn also fed on a good diet.

Personally, I wouldn't go with fish for a corn, although I have heard they will eat them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. snowtigers5

snowtigers5 Embryo

will not take him off his rodents diet, just a in between snack for him to hunt. i feed him thawed frozen pinks. i make him follow the sent and take off the tongs i use,but its not much of a hunt. thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. drewlowe

drewlowe New Member

I would never feed a fish to a corn snake. Stick to mice or rats.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're just looking for some kind of enrichment for your snake. A way to change things a little and keep him active. One of the best ways I've found to do this for snakes is to occasionally change their habitat around a little. Nothing stressful, just move the cave/hidebox to another area, add a new artificial plant or add rocks that you can change the arrangement of, that kind of thing. If you're looking for ways to make his "hunt" for food more proactive, I would offer the mouse with the tongs, like you already are, then after he's already grabbed on to it, keep moving the mouse a little and make him constrict the prey. Then after he's fully constricted you can stop moving the mouse and let him take it. I don't do this with large snakes or large prey for safety reasons but cornsnakes and smaller snakes usually respond well and are easy to do this with. Of course, you don't want them biting or trying to swallow the tongs so make sure there is plenty of room for the snakes mouth on the pinky, I would hold it by the base of the tail as much as possible. It makes the snake work a little for it's food and work those natural instincts without making him hunt live prey.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. snowtigers5

snowtigers5 Embryo

thats just what i do, i'm new with corns but i aways ask before i try new things. thanks