Fattie Fat Fat Bosc

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by reptileden0, Sep 22, 2011.

1. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

I know there are the issues of under nourishment.. But what about the fatties!? My bosc since reaching 30" has gotten fat! Her foods are insects molluscs and occasional treat meats for target training (usually poached eggs) . She doesnt receive large amounts of foods. Gets some exercise. Poops about 1ce a week. Her enclosure temps are in the 8o's with her preferred 100 degree basking spot ( i had it higher but she threw a tantrum over it) Humidity around 65-75% (my house humidity or lack there of draws her enclosure humidity down.). I make her range the house, dig and play in the tub..... Any suggestions/ideas etc. We talked to vet and he isnt concerned about parasites given her overall condition. She is just a fat pancake! I do not like it! Do i decrease foods even more? whats the mimimum for this breed? I dont wanna starve her out or piss her off either ...

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

looks like someone is getting spoiled... lol!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh my goodness! She is a fat little happy tubber :)
    Wow I'm not really sure about what to do... other than maybe buy low fat meat at treats? Lol. Take her out for walks? I'm really not sure... what does her diet on an average week consist of?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Specifically what kind of insects are you feeding her? How often are you feeding her and about how much at each feeding?

Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to give a set minimum amount that should be given to a certain reptile. However, it's usually a lot easier to overfeed than it is to underfeed. I would assume if she's exercising regularly and still not losing weight, you can probably cut back on feeding without doing any harm or stressing her out too much. I'd also try to increase her fluid intake if at all possible. If you can tell us the specifics of her diet, maybe we can find alternatives that are still just as healthy but are lower in fat...?

She is awfully cute and obviously well loved, but you're right, she is a chunker, lol. XD

reptileden0 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Toof eats crawdads, fiddler crabs, small amounts of lightly cooked egg-target training, crickets, fat removed poultry bits-in small amounts, locusts, cicadias, occasionally liver (a half inch by half inch square as a "you did really really well" treat when she puts up with extreme challenges for her antisocial attitude) Fish in any form makes her uber crabby but she gets a feeder goldie once in a while but I usually have to clean them of pet store toxins first ( pet stores medicate the fish for Ick, funguses, parasites etc!). She gets bits of failed-hatch chickens from moms (egg too small for chick to develop hatch right or hen abandons last of eggs) in basically teaspoon sized portions, but these are once every so often... I cant do or stand roaches in front of me or in my house..long story. I have been feeding in rather small amounts lately and she is trimmin up enough to stand on her hind legs to catch food again and she can just lately lift her belly to clear enclosure ledge for in and out. We have be food cruisin around the house, I show her the food tong and make her hunt /forage with me around the house - she really gets excited when we do this a couple times a week. I feed every day unless the previous day had excess. I have hide food spots in her enclosure too which require skill and thinking on her part to get- she has to use her bear like feet to retreive or flip her container certain ways to access. She poops about once week- which I dont like- since the "diet" started. Amounts per day recently wouldnt fill a table spoon measurer, when its pure meat , about a teaspoon leveled...

Attached Files:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Honestly, it sounds like her diet is pretty much where it needs to be. I was mainly checking to make sure you weren't using any worms or raw meat as a staple. The only thing I would change is I would switch out the poultry bits, liver, and egg for something more natural. Savs essentially eat purely invertebrates in the wild, so I would stick to a purely invertebrate diet in captivity as well. Various feeder worms, although higher in fat than crickets, locusts, roaches, etc., are still great for use as an occasional treat, and are a more natural selection for Toof to eat. Obviously keep treats to a bare minimum though, as you are probably already doing. And again, try to increase her fluid intake as well. Maybe see if you can get her to drink from a dropper. Anyways, I'm glad to hear she is trimming up a little. No woman wants a belly that drags on the ground, not even a monitor-woman, lol. =P

reptileden0 likes this.
  12. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Toof drinks every day from her dish right after i put fresh water in it. I hand it to her before even setting it down (her other water tray is what she uses to poo in-she plops in circles poos and escapes !) She loves mom's well water (5 filters!) . Her meat treats are pretty small in portion. I use them after she handles stressfull things well - like introducing her to people, taking her outside - nature scares her!-, after her and the dogs mingle on a really good note, etc. She is really a hands-on bosc. She proves to many they are more than just to look at. She knows basic words commamds and sounds. We 'train' eachother! Oh and her meat needs are low enough that she has a pet frog... ya i said it ... in her enclosure. They bask and soak together. she wont touch her drinking water if frog been in it thats why every day i wash and change it out. I do have to invest in a feeder colony of anything but roaches. but before winter hits, I gonna stock on bugs and crayfish. Cray fish are a blast .. a remove their pinchers and Toof cat-like plays with them befor attacking and crunchin them down.

13. Cammy

That's what I love about the big lizards like the monitors and tegus. They're so intelligent! I've actually read about people clicker training them, and you're not the first person to tell me that their monitor responds to their name and basic commands. That just fascinates me. =)

14. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

Toof hated the clicker. It was like an insult to her lol but to tick her tongs or certain mouth clicks and noises maker her respond too. They respond.. in cat-like ways (if it benefits me i will) lol. Its fun to work with any reptiles instinct/behavior and make it work to both party's advantage. repetition and treats/positive reinforcement are key. Even snakes can be sound trained. For exapmle 3 taps on enclosure is feed time, two taps is handeling time, and so on. They all pick up on it, its just if they "care" or not. Potty training is no different. Repitition. Ive had alot of expieriment time with pets over the years and Im always tryin new "tricks".

Cammy likes this.
  15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow, that's pretty awesome that you have "trained" some of your herps, I definitley hear you on the "if I feel like it" type of attitude from them... and cats, lol.
    Ever feel like they are training you sometimes? Lol. One of my chahoua... I'm such a sucker... whenever he sits on his food bowl, even if it's a couple hours early, I'll feed him b/c he's too darn cute, lol.

reptileden0 likes this.