Fake rock walls

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Monroe, Aug 29, 2003.

1. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

WOW That is so awesome Thundor!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Do we know what temps the chemicals can stand yet? I've got all my materials ready but am wary because of the chemicals in polystyrene and the tile adhesive etc. Any ideas?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Thundor,
    How do you clean your rock wall? It's amazing and I'm considering attempting to make one for my new beardie. Just wanted to know how easy it is to clean and how well it holds up to the heat lamps before I got too carried away. Thanks!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Gday from Australia,

I was just checking out the site and although I joined awhile ago this is my first post. I thought you all may be interested in the link below. Its for an Australian company called Universal Rocks. I have a small rock bowl from them and quite realistic. I'll also be ordering a backwall for my Childrens python enclosure. If you look under "Aquariums" you'll see the different styles. The one I have chosen is the 3x3' ledge.

One question before I go, can members post photo's on this site? (some forums don't allow them)

Cheers
    Bakes

http://www.universalrocks.com.au/rocks.htm

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Krad

Krad New Member

Awsome I wish they had a site like that in the us, and you can post pictures.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Krad
    I belive they do mail order to overseas areas. I've ordered my backdrop yesterday and will post a photo when I install it. They are a latex type product and would be lighter than fiberglass. I'm only new to keeping snakes and are starting with a childrens python. I do want to get an Olive python down the track. These snakes are in my local area and as part of my job we get quite a few call outs to remove them. I have some pics of some of the pythons in the local area and will post them when I'm not so tired (Just finished night shift).

12. coolfool

coolfool New Member

cool thats some realy nice stiff

13. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Yes, we love pics here. Just make sure that the photo size doesn't exceed 640 pixels on the longest edge.

14. liza714

liza714 Member

A company called Pelagic East makes the huge fibergalss exhibits you see in the Boston aquarium and places like the national zoo. They use a marine grade epoxy for all their exhibits because at high heat or humidity even regular epoxy can release fumes. Marine epoxy once set is nearly indestructible and doesnt off gas or release chemicals into water. Most marine supplies also sell small tubes of marine pigment that will not seep thru the epoxy the way spray paint can come thru regular epoxy. None of these produce enough fumes that your animals will suddenly keel over its just some of the components of epoxy (mainly cabosil) has been shown to be carcinogenic in mammals. Now in all fairness many things that are carcinogens in mammals are not in reptiles due to the incredible hardiness of the class but would still use the marine epoxy.

15. SpLiT

SpLiT New Member

Cool. my dad said he will help me make one. do you think i can get everything i need a home depot?

16. amigita

amigita New Member

Wow Thundor! That's the nicest looking setup I have ever seen! Simply gorgeous! Isn't all that stuff toxic though (tile adhesive, paint thinner, acetone, polystyrene)?