Fake rock walls

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Monroe, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Monroe

Monroe Embryo

Hai!
    Just came across the do it yourself fake rock wall article and am wondering if anybody would have any links or pics to some others work?
    Think these are a fantastic idea and am keen t get to work on one tomorrow :cool:
    Cheers,
    Monroe.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Embryo

Hey Monroe,
    I'm trying to find out more info on the fake rock wall also. I spoke with a breeder who said she was very afraid that the fumes would harm beardies. Hope we can both find out more info soon!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Thundor

Thundor Embryo

I just finished a remodel of an old store display case for my son's bearded dragon. I made a very large fake rock structure. If you would like to see it, how I built it and links to more detailed instructions go to the "cage info" link at http://www.geocities.com/tnstuttle/

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Thundor, your fake rocks look wonderful!
    We made a real rock wall for our Great Plains Ratsnakes. It was a lot of work, but it looks pretty cool. We used a red sandstone slab and scored it with a pick-axe. Then we busted it up with a sledge hammer. Then we took all of the smaller pieces and layed them our like bricks, cementing between layers, all the way up the side of the enclosure. Unfortunately, it's heavy. The origianl slab weighed 120 lbs, so the finished product weighed about the same. But we have a sturdy large enclosure that we built ourselves with the rock wall in mind. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a glass aquarium. The fake rocks look great though. I'll have to look into building those sometime!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Thundor

Thundor Embryo

Biochic, that sandstone wall looks great. I just love the sandstone look. I have a real fondness for the desert. Southern Utah is simply gorgeous.

12. biochic

Thanks alot Thundor! It was a lot of hard work. Not just weight and breaking up the rock but also making sure it was safe for the snakes to climb on as well. A lot of logistics and planning.
    I love the desert too. This was our first chance to do a desert/plains type exhibit so we went all out for it.

13. lacerta

lacerta Member

Take a look at this guys website and check out his DIY article on rock wall construction. Then look at the finished paludarium. Incredible. I plan to do a similar rock wall but as a background for my bearded dragon enclosure. Good luck to you. George

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/46g_construct.htm

14. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hot D*MN, thundor! that is one of the most awesome cages i've ever seen! i would never have been able to come up with how to do it, either! that's fantastic!

15. Karma

Karma New Member

WOW- that is a beautiful set up!!! You are talented!

(Sorry about your other BDs :p)

My dh is going to build a similar type of cage with the fake rock...he asked me to save your link :D

Your cage is VERY pretty.

16. cd

cd Member

These are all wonderful you guys! (You all always give me too many ideas!) Lousy money!
    -Cristine

17. caliking

caliking New Member

thing you will need are
    polysyrene
    polyurethane foam
    tile grout(adhesive)
    aqurium seleant or a hot glue gun
    sand or another sutable material for layering over tile grout
    firstly stick the polysyrene to the back walll of your viv. then spray on your pur foam (allow it to dry overnight). Then cover that with tilegrout us=ing a spatular or something that will do the job. then coat that with sand. This will make you a cool fake background and very naturalistic.
    caliking

18. rezon

rezon New Member

Thundor how did u make the cave part?

19. bidden

bidden Embryo

What exactly is Tile adheasive?? I know of tile mortor(stuff you put under the tile to lay on floor) or there is tile grout(stuff you put inbetween tile after it is layed)

THANKS!!

20. rezon

rezon New Member

http://www.buildingdesign.co.uk/arch/ardex-1/ardex-1.htm

ORGANIC ADHESIVE
    Organic adhesive or mastic can be used on floors and walls. It is used like thin set to bond tile directly to a backing or substrate. However, special precautions must be followed in their use. These products are a pre-mixed adhesive that are commonly packaged in pails or other watertight containers. Following guidelines found under ANSI 136.1 1985, the mastics fall under two types.

Type 1 mastic for floors and walls either wet or dry
    Type 2 mastic is generally used for dry wall use only

here a google search of it
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=...ive&spell=1

that should explain it 4 ubidden,

21. bidden

bidden Embryo

I'm still confused on this tile adhesive....

I purchased the Rona brand Floor & Wall Ceramic tile adhesive. It's a white paste/putty. I dont think this is what I want.....

What I'm thinking would work better is a mortor or grout.... sand looking and strong...

can someone give me a straight dummed down answer(sorry rezon, I don't have a clue what your post means....)

Thanks

22. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

I think what you the site means by Tile adhesive is Grut (cant spell it) the stuff you run over the the tiles to it gets into the cracks between the tiles... Um Im not sure...

23. Dana

Dana Embryo

Awesome cages EVERYONE! I'm Glad baby boy can't see the pics or he would want to move! LOL I'll try something like that for him when I get a bigger tank for him! I think that just because he's a snake he should be able to play as well! LOL 8)

24. dragondude

dragondude Embryo

Thundor, are your bottom level lights black lights?

25. jeffnsteph

jeffnsteph Embryo

Thundor--- Fabulous job, sheesh you should start making them and selling them, gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.... now mine looks like $#^%, lol, am presently working on one myself, i just put a coat of cement on styr. this morning, i used an old lingerie dresser and laid it on its side where all the drawers were is the front, i have ramps going up both sides and then a platform for basking, and i even constructed (what i call the lizard lake) out of styro and am covering it and a food dish too (so it all blends well) I am very proud of myself (my husband hasnt helped me one bit lol) and cant wait to finish, but yours is great you should be very proud, give yourself a BIG pat on the back!! :D