Fake rock pictures

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by reptiles4me, Apr 12, 2006.

1. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

For those of you who asked to see pictures of the fake rocks and hides I made, here they are. I used the instructions listed in the "How I made fake rocks" thread. I didn't use sealant on the snake's hides or the Uro's stuff although I will be since now I've heard it's safe. And no I didn't make the logs. I'm not that talented...yet lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Darud35

Darud35 Embryo

Hey man it all looks great! Im going to have to try that once i get my new boa cage. How much did it end up costing roughly?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

Yes i was wondering the same thing?
    And thouse are great!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

Thanks. It was a lot of fun. It wasn't bad at all...about $11 for the cement stuff for a bucket...I went through 2. I bought river rocks, a huge bag for about $3. I think the sealer was $9...The plants I bought at the dollar store, as well as the styrofoam for the hides. The rest of the forms I bought at Michael's (a craft store). They were a little pricey but I can't remember the prices exactly. I bought mostly the brick shapes, glued them together and either carved the shape or used the brick to support a roof. The flagstone was $6 for 2 pieces and I broke them up. Those supplies made me a lot of cage stuff. Once I started, I became obsessed lol. I made 7 hides, a fake rock, 2 eating platforms and a base for a fake plant. I had one casualty (an eating platform - bad engineering lol) and one that I can't use yet because it ended up being too big for the tank. When ya take your measurements, make sure to leave room for cement lol. I brain farted on that duh. I will say for a larger snake I don't know that it will be heavy enough. I took one out of my male's BP tank (the pic is my female) because I noticed it looked like it had been moved. I think he also lifted it because he was under his carpet in the morning. You might be able to weigh the bottom down with larger rocks. Good luck if ya try it and post pics.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. james_sherlock

james_sherlock New Member

what sealer did you use because i have just made all my rockwall foundations (huge) and iv spray painted it but now i wont to seal it. quick question why is it important to put sealer on it iv heard so many people using it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I have heard that you need to seal it because of bacteria and mold. Moisture collects and seeps in the cement. I didn't have that issue but the fake rocks weren't even in the tank for 2 days. I also just felt that with a sealer it would make the stuff tougher for cleaning. My beardie decided he likes his platform so much that he doesn't have to come off it to poo. He just moves to a corner and makes a "deposit". So I'm glad he has the sealer cause I would hate to think that something icky was now living in his cement. I found without the sealer when I did scrub some of the pieces would come off. I used a tile and grout sealer.

12. james_sherlock

james_sherlock New Member

thanks. do u live in the Uk or USA. if in the UK which brand did you go for

13. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I live in the US. I actually don't have any to look at. I just asked a friend in the tiling business and he brought some over. He told me that if I ran out, he got it from one of those large home improvement stores. I'm assuming that if you go to a place like that and look where the grout is, you might be able to find it. But we also know what assuming does lol.

14. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

sealing it also prevents the grout from cracking.

15. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

And if you used spray paint... It can seal all the chemicals in so they don't bother the reptiles.

16. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

cool pics.......here's what mine looks like, i need to put some sealer on it yet tho.....

[​IMG]

17. pigger93

pigger93 Member

o duude nice pics and carlos that is sick so cool

18. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Great idia carlos!! How did you do yourS?

19. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

thanks guys......

here's what i started out with.....
    [​IMG]

then started to grout it........bottom 1st
    [​IMG]

then the upper part.......2 coats in all
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i sealed the grout w/ grout sealer......
    [​IMG]

then after that dried, i sprayed it w/ that textured paint.
    [​IMG]

this is the finished product, after sealing it.....
    [​IMG]

i even made him a little dish, on the lower right, you can see it.... :)
    [​IMG]

20. pigger93

pigger93 Member

o very kool i mite try that is that ok?

21. pigger93

pigger93 Member

do they like it?

22. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

don't know yet....just put it in today....... =o)

[​IMG]

23. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

yeah that wall looks frickin awesome. you have some great ideas going with how you made that thing. about how long did it take you to make since i know they alreayd asked about the cost.

24. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Wow that looks killer. how did you do it?

25. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I used styrofoam shapes covered in resurfacing cement. There are some great directions in the thread "How I made fake rocks...".