exo-terra glass terrarium. what do you think?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by cutepieceofpie, Jan 10, 2005.

1. cutepieceofpie

cutepieceofpie New Member

http://www.exo-terra.com/products/glass_terrariums_i.html

more details
    http://www.exo-terra.com/products/glass_terrariums_p.html

its only 90$ from a store in germany and only 16$ shipping.

what do you guys think for one of my atbs? it looks perfect and im just wondering if you guys think so too? and also how long should i wait to move my baby into the other tank? i dont want to stress him out... im guessing it would take a couple weeks to get here anyways. im a pain i know but i would love your feedback.

http://shop.reptiefun.be/reptiefun/product...products_id=322
    ^^ the site id be getting it from.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jambooti

jambooti New Member

They look really nice but the widest available is only 18" wide...I could be wrong but that seems pretty narrow for an adult ATB.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cutepieceofpie

i plan on making a bigger, custom tank when they start to mature... and then their tank would go on to be used for (possibly) a vine snake, sold or some sort of reptile :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jambooti

jambooti New Member

I stumbled on an ATB site a while back with the cooooolest looking cages...let me see if I can find it-

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jambooti

jambooti New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

They would be fine. All i'm usung is 20Long critter cages turned on end. They all of 12" wide at best. Atbs really dont do a whole lot of moving around,mine seem to do ok in it.

12. cutepieceofpie

so you're saying even as mature atbs theyd be fine in that tank?? i wish they made a bigger tank like that... but if its fine then theres no need making a huge tank... at least not untill i get my own place all to myself :wink:

those are wicked cool cages!

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

My adult male Hannibal is 5.5' long and is in a 20Long tipped on its end. He stays in the same place all the time. They don't do a whole lot.

14. jambooti

jambooti New Member

Question for you Ed....do captive ATB/ETBs *ever* climb down off their branch to chill out down below? They strike, eat, copulate, give birth up in the branches so I'm a bit curious to know if they ever come down and if it's only a temperature response or other.

15. cutepieceofpie

mine move around a ton at night... one of my babies is actually on the ground floor of the tank right now... they are exploring a lot since they were fed. this is normal right ed?

16. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

My ETB never comes down off of it's perches until late at night and that is more or less just cruising around the cage hunting.

The ATBs I have move around quite a bit.... they several different spots on the spots that they like to perch in and will sometimes lay down on the ground for short periods of time.

17. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

When i see them they are always in their perches. When All the lights are down and i go down there late, i see them cruising around. otherwise yeah everything is done in the perches. Lot of fun watching them eat upside down.lol Ive even seen the female one so lazy she dropped the mouse nd instead of going down to get it with her mouth, she let her tail down to coil around it and brought it back up so she could eat it. That was actually an amazing sight to see.

18. jambooti

jambooti New Member

Since they're known to be very nippy snakes, do they ever get agitated when you lift their branch out (with them on it of course) or just when you physically try to handle them? I still like the idea of one day adding one of these to my collection

[​IMG]

but less excited about adding one of these to it :shock:

[​IMG]

19. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Most Amazons want nothing to do with you. when you take them out on their perch it taqkes them a bit to realize what your doing. But once they do , they will have a go at you.

Actually that pic of the emerald is a fairly rare pic. That's a Basin Emerald, known for being incredibly docile. Seeing one that aggitated leads me to believe that someone really aggitated that snake just to get the picture. Unfortunately the basins are the most expensive of the Corallus species. Neonates going for about $1000.00 adults I've seen for 3-5 times that much.

20. jambooti

jambooti New Member

Maybe I'll just have to admire ETB/ATBs that other people own :D

21. cutepieceofpie

my atbs were only 60 dollars each... 35 for shipping. atbs and etbs range in prices... colors and patterns age and cb/wc so on and so on. if you do decide to buy one make sure you talk to the dealer and make sure hes a respected dealer. make sure they've eaten on frozen feeders and what feeding schedual they're on so on and so on. its good to know the history of the snake and of the pair that it spawned from.

22. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Ed is right on about that being a rare picture.... I have yet to see an emerald "pose" like that. Not even the wild caught Northern ETBs that I got in hopes of being able to rehab were like that. I will take ETBs any day over the ATB when it comes to handling... the ETBs are much more docile when it comes to that. They down side is that ETBs are more prone to stress issues and are also more sensitive to husbandry problems.

23. ssscales

ssscales Member

Like Ed mentioned, I'm not sure the size of your ATB, but your better off going with a 20gln tank turned on it's end for about $20.00, or a modified Rubbermaid bin. Save your money for a nice custom made adult enclosure, which I would also look at building myself and saving some $$$. With that extra cash you can get another snake.

I don't have any arboreal at the moment, but I've been thinking of adding them to my collection for about a year now. I will most likely go with a pair of ARU GTP's, they seem to be the easiest to handle.