Enclosure Wood/Paint Questions

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by TristenE, Mar 24, 2013.

1. TristenE

TristenE New Member

When building a custom enclosure, is plywood better or melamine? And if I were to paint the wood of the enclosure, do i need a special type of paint to avoid harming my reptile?

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

The choice between plywood and melamine really depends on what kind of enclosure you will be making..... any type of humid enclosure melamine is out as an option... unless you seal it, but I wouldn't risk it, if you're going to seal it you might as well go with plywood. What type of reptile are you making the enclosure for?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. TristenE

TristenE New Member

I am planning multiple enclosures for Bearded Dragons, Tegus, and Savannah Monitors. And what is the best sealant in that case?

Thanks!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

If you use melamine for the bearded tanks (very dry), you don't need sealant. I would assume Savannah's would be the same dry climates... I'm not up to speed on Tegu requirements but if they need humidity then it would be a plywood enclosure that is sealed. In that case you would want a nice lacquer or polyurethane finish... something like this.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Ya it depends on what you like and humidity levels. When you say plywood do you mean OSB?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. TristenE

TristenE New Member

I didn't plan on using OSB. It's too rough and i don't like the way it looks indoors. And thanks StickPaws13!

12. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

ya as a constuction worker i wouldnt reccomend it for anything other than sheeting walls. absobrs water way too easily and then gets moldy. good luck!

13. TristenE

TristenE New Member

Thanks! What would you recommend?

14. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

I think what StikyPaws312 is exactly what you want, melamine is good, if you dont want your reptiles climbing about the walls its smooth, if you seal it it it should also keep some humidtiy. Same with plywood, if your going for a more rustic look.

15. TristenE

TristenE New Member

Awesome. Hey if either of you own bearded dragons go to the bearded dragons forum page and try to answer my questions on mating, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well... if I had ever mated my beardie I would but... no advice to give :( Sorry!

17. TristenE

TristenE New Member

No problem. Have you ever had two or more together? That's another thing I am trying to look into.

18. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Beardies can be kept in groups. They are agamids so a dominance hierarchy will be established among them

19. TristenE

TristenE New Member

But will it be okay to introduce a new beardie into my current female's tank, or just keep two together from birth?

20. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Both should work, if they are kept from birth they will have established who's boss early on, and so prevent any future fights. two put together later might fight a little bit, but it should be fine after a while

21. Badger711

Badger711 Member

I would highly advise AGAINST keeping any form of community tank, for multiple reasons:

1. Pecking Order: The dominant bearded dragon will get more food and water than the other submissive bearded dragons. Bearded dragons are solitary animals in the wild, they may live in "populations", but the majority of animals are miles apart. When one bearded dragon establishes itself as the dominant, then all the other beardies will become extremely stressed. The "cuddling" behavior that many people think is cute is actually a display of said dominance, and is a very stressful experience for the dragons.

2. Disease/Pathogens: If one bearded dragon contracts a contagious disease, parasite, or other illness it will be nearly impossible to keep it from spreading to the other animal(s) before it is caught. Keep in mind, that also means double the vet bills for double the animal and double the medication.

3. Fights: Dominant/Submissive relationships in nature almost always involve fighting and/or dominance displays (see above) . Even if humans. Look at an abusive relationship. The animals become stressed the same way humans do. Not trying to impress human emotion on an animal, but studies have shown that stress affects the animals in similar ways to humans.

As far as the enclosure building, if you need humidity you can use melamine...You could seal the sides/joints with 100% silicone sealant (which is herp safe) and I would think this would help with keeping humidity in.

Cammy and StikyPaws312 like this.
  22. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

.....What he said

Badger711 likes this.
  23. TristenE

TristenE New Member

Hey guys, bringing up another question from an old topic.

Can you paint melamine? I'm wondering for the final choice between woods. The color is going to be black, so I was wondering whether or not melamine could be painted. And I've been looking around for some basking bulb ceiling mounters but cant seem to find any (I have found the UVB mounters though). Any Help? And finally, for the sliding front door, is it better to use glass or plexiglass?

Btw the cage is going to be an 8ft by 2ft by 2ft for my beardies. It's so wide because there will be a divider in the center to be kept in when they aren't breeding.

Thanks!

24. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

These are super cheap and work great for just the basking bulb. (Link).... just make sure you get the porcelain one! Don't get the plastic one - it isn't rated to hold a bulb with that much wattage and heat.

Glass or plexi.... well that all depends on what you can find - if you're comfortable cutting glass or want to pay extra for a cut to fit piece then definitely do that. Just make sure it's tempered. If you go plexi, make sure you get the thicker stuff so it won't bend.

As far as painting melamine.... If you're going to paint it you might as well use plywood instead then and seal it. The whole reason to use melamine is so you don't have to paint and seal it.
    Good luck!

25. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

You can paint it, melamine does come in black. Painted plywood would be just the same as melamine.