Enclosure Ideas?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by KLiK, Jun 13, 2004.

1. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

can anyone give me some ideas to help out the look of my 20L turtle tank? here is a pic of how it is right now
    [​IMG]

i would also like some ideas to help out the look of my leos' tank it is a 10g...for now
    [​IMG]

thanks in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

For the slider, I'd put a small ramp, going up to a ledge. Just so that he can get out of the water if he needs to. It can be a basic plastic ramp/ledge, which I've seen in many pet stores, or you could go with a more natural look, by doing it with gravel and rocks.

For the leo, are you using sand as a substrate? You'd probably be better off in the long run, by using a slate bottom. I'm currently using sand myself, but am in the process of changing it to tile. I'll be using sand in the corner, where his potty is, for easy poo removal. The water dish could be a little bigger, and a background would look nice...for both aesthetic reasons, and security for the leos. Which side is the warmer side? If both of your leos are in there, they should each have their own moist hide, and they should be located near the warmer side of the tank. The moist hide could also be a little smaller...like a medium sized deli container. What type of lighting is it that you're using? I'm asking, cause it looks a little bright in there. Leos are nocturnal animals, and hence they try to stear clear of bright lights...they don't require to bask like other reptiles. If the light is for heating reasons, you could get away with only using a UTH, and if it's still too chilly, you could add a red-glo bulb. Is your vine secure, if they decide to climb it? I think that's it, though.

Hope this helps,
    Rebecca

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the lights r for heating reasons it is a 60w Day-Glo light the substrate is papertowel but my leo's do enjoy the light my bigger one will come out n climb ontop of the moist hide and lay under the light with her head up. the little one never goes in the moist hide and i also keep the warm side on the left i am soon going to get a 20L for the leo's but i would still like to have the tank sooking nice for the time being

Thanks for the ideas

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. caliking

caliking New Member

more space and more maturalistic enclosures.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Oops! It looked like sand. Sorry.

Rebecca

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Is the big brown blotch on the left side of my screen your turtle?? That tank is way to small for a turtle that size.

IF I'm wrong, you still need a ramp/island/platform. I used a floating island for my turtles. I also used PennPlax ledges. Those were AWESOME!! They have suction cups and legs, looked fantastic.

Also LOTS more plants, real or fake. I would use submerged fake plants and buy some live lotus and water lettuce plants to float on the surface.

And unless thats a $40 bulb in the lamp your lights are inadequate. Turtles spend a great deal of time basking. They need sunlight.

IF that turtle IS as big as I think it is, buy a $7 baby wading pool. Set it up in your yard half in sunlight, half in the shade. It won't deep enough for the turtle to dive in but it will give him/it lots of swimming room. Add pond plants & a submerged filter & you will have a beautiful turtle setup!!

Sharon

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the blob on the side is the turtle the pic came out really bad because he was moving i actualy tried putting in a plastic ramp for him but he didnt like it that much so i took that flat rock thing in there (it has a step like ramp on both sides) and i rose it up higher with bricks as supports. Thanks for the idea with the pool. he also doesn't stay basking very long. in fact he spends a lot of time underneath the rock in the shade from the light while he is submerged in the water and he crawls around on the bottom and he stares up at me while i watch him. the light i use i a 60watt sun-glo from exo-terra. my room is going to be my entire basement in a month or two (or so my parents tell me) and i am thinking about using a 50 gallon storage container as his enclosure because the ones i have seen are very deep and look great for diving. should he be happy in one of those? also would i be able to keep 3 adult leos in a 30gallon tank? thanks for all the advice.

P.S.
    The turtle is around 3" across and around 6" length he looks bigger in the picture though. and would anyone know how i could get him used to me? he only likes me when i go to feed him, other than that he doesn't like being pet or held. with the iguana i received i have taken him out 2hours everyday and he has calmed down so much, he sits on my shoulder and i walk around my house with him whereas when i first got him he would claw up my hands and try to bite. i take out the turtle around 30minutes a day but he seems to get too stressed out so i put him back. he still hasn't seemed to get any calmer around people. can anyone give me some tips?

13. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

3 adult leos should be okay in a 30g. That's all that I'd put in there, though.

Take care,
    Rebecca

14. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

oh well the turtle im guessing is new? give him time like alot and a bigger tank would be better he would be happier and if hes content he will probably calm down, in about 2 months hand feed him for a while maybe once a week{if hes a slider} not a snapper. he will get used to your hands, but dont do it too much or he will assosiatew your hands with food. do you bathe him? i bath my turtles and use very mild soap like anibacterial hand soap, lukewarm water, and when you bath him touch his skin on top of his head and under his chin, subtly rub it, my turtles like it he may not though. and i may be wrong for your turlte this is just what worked for mine. other than that give him time, it took my turtle almost a year to eat out of my hand but he wasnt used to captivity so it shouldnt take yours as long. i hope i helped some.

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i bathe him in my tub with jonson&jonson no more tears baby soap in warm water he goes to bite my finger wen i touch his head. i have tried feeding him by hand but whoever owned him before i did must have only given him fish because that is all he eats. i tried vegetables, fruits, turtle sticks and turtle pellets and the only thing he eats is live fish. i have had the turtle for a few months i found him out in the street.

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i also change around the look of his tank from some ideas people gave me. i wil post pics soon. i added fake plants and changed his basking spot to a Floating Dock from Exo Terra

17. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Thats standard behavior for a turtle. My mother owned the exception to the rule. Charlie would come when called (I SWEAR!!!), she always had a treat for him, but he would sit and let her rub his shell, and didn't pull his head in when she would touch his head or rub his chin.

All I can say is ALWAYS have a treat on you, call him by name in a high pitched voice, sort of 'sing song' it. Then give him the treat one tiny bit at a time. Charlie would eat flies and ham bits out of her fingers.

The 60 watt lamp isn't adequate. Um unless its one of the new full spectrum $30 or $40 bulbs. I haven't tried them yet myself. Other than that maybe the 60 watt lamp is to warm? Florescent tubes don't get nearly as warm, although, I don't know why he isn't basking. Unless its a problem with his eyes. Are they at all cloudy? Does he blink alot in the light?

Sorry, running out of helpful stuff here!

Sharon

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

no his eyes aren't cloudy and he doesn't blink a lot. his water stays warm around 70 and where he basks on the dock is around 80. i keep the room at a constant 75 degrees because i myself enjoy that temperature and it is easy for me to keep my reptiles at an adequate night temperature. when he does bask he looks at me and then the door like he is telling me to open it...so i open the door and he sits on his basking dock and stares out into my hallway lol i decided to keep my door open and he does bask a little more, i guess its so he can look out the door without having to come up to breathe.

19. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Still, what I meant when I said the 60 watt lamp wasn't adequate was that those bulbs rarely produce enough of the right light, the correct spectrum.

LOL! Maybe your turtle would appreciate a TV tuned into the Animal Planet for something to watch while he basks???

Sharon

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ha! i dont know but when there are other turtles on the TV he usually tries to watch so i move his tank at an angle that he can see the TV better.

21. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

my turtles like to look around as well, they dont like not being able to see every thing. and maybe he needs a girlfriend. i put a female with my male for the first time in 3 years and it didnt take him three min. before they were lovin{LOL}. it may take him a long time to get comfortable with you. if he doesnt like you touching his head touch his feet and let him feel the texture and warmth of your hands, let him kick your fingers if he wants. and after a while try new things to eat he will eventually try new stuff once hes settled, but start him with what he will eat. the slider i had liked egg yolk well, and lillys, and also crawdads and snails, so try those the live things first. they seem to like to eat in private at first my turtles dont care anymore they just pig in. or maybe he needs more alone time? turtles are somewhat private but i think that lessens alot if they are housed with companions. i am thinking up sme more stuff to help if i can but am in a hurry right now, really just be patient with him he will come around probably.good luck