Empty 10 gallon tank, can I keep crickets in this?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by caseyface, Jul 14, 2009.

1. caseyface

caseyface New Member

I have an empty 10 gallon tank with a screen lid. It's becoming a pain to buy crickets every other day, sometimes everyday for my juvie beardie. Can I successfully keep a large amount of small crickets in a 10 gallon tank? I have the resources for egg crate, gel water, dry food and fresh foods.. but is there any way to keep the stench away? :) Or do all crickets smell? Also if it's possible, how many small crickets can I keep in a 10 gallon tank? Anything else I should know?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

I keep mine in a little 5 gallon for now, but I only get about 50 crickets at a time, and at least 15 get eaten when I get them home, then give or take a few dead ones. They seem to do fine, I hear they can get stinky if you dont keep it clean. I usually cant smell something unless its pretty strong so I just rely on what other people say and keep the tank clean.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

10 gallon is huge, you can keep about 200 there lol
    but you need something for them to climb, i keep 50 in a small tube :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Geckoguy52

Geckoguy52 New Member

I keep 500 in a plastic storage tub (thats close to 10 gallon size). If you want to be able to keep large #s of crickets, yout need lots of hiding spaces (the reason for the need of egg crates). buying bulk is the cheapest in the long run (assuming your buying at a show or online). as for the stench, make sure the tank has good ventilation. If you find any dead bodies, make sure they are removed ASAP.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    You can keep at least 200+ in a 10g. You have all the neccesary food, egg crates etc so it will be ok.
    The secret is keep it DRY, damp not only kills them off but it creates the smell. Keep floor clean and tank well ventilated and you should have no problems. Also if you can keep the temps up in it to around 80F, this helps. A small heat mat under one end would do.
    When I was using over 2000 crix a month, I used a 30g breeder, I fitted it with a 60w ceramic due to low temps here in the UK, and lost very few, may be 40 a month.