Emerald swifts...

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by lizardgurl87, Sep 7, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

so, i am considering getting an emerald swift and just wanted 2 know some more about them, like can you handle them every so often?, their habitat requirments and such :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Blargh. I've tried to read up on these guys before, but every care guide says something completely different about their needs. I don't have any experience with them myself, but I can answer your questions based on what I've read and personal opinion. Hopefully someone who has actually kept them will chime in with some more knowledgeable answers, though. =\

Handling seems to be comparable to anoles: It might be possible to tame them, but it will probably take a lot of work as they are flighty by nature. They will probably never be the kind of lizard you can get out and hold or sit still with for long periods of time.

Everyone has a different opinion on minimum cage size. Based on their adult size (6-8 inches) and arboreal nature, I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 20 gallon high aquarium. I personally wouldn't do less than a standard 29 gallon though.

They require both heat and UVB lighting. Because of their natural habitat (where they live in planted, shaded areas), the long style florescent tube UVB lights are probably the best choice for UVB. A separate heat light would need to be used in addition to that. Keep ambient temperatures between 75-80F with a basking spot at the top of the cage getting to around 95F. Night temps should not fall below 68-70F. Make sure you are measuring temperatures with a temp gun or digital thermometer in order to recieve accurate surface temperature readings.

Humidity needs to be kept high as these are a tropical lizard. Aim for at least 65-70% humidity. Use a moisture retaining substrate such as sterile potting soil/bed-a-beast, peat moss, or a mixture of both. They may also burrow in their substrate for security. Make sure they have plenty of thick climbing branches and plants for security as well.

Provide a water bowl large enough for the swift to soak in. A larger water dish will also help keep the humidity up. Feed them gut loaded insects such as crickets and small roaches. Worms can be given as a treat. Repti/Calci/Phoenix Worms and Silk Worms can be used as staples, but other worms are either to fatty, nutritionally void, or have to much of a chitinous shell to feed regularly. Dust feeders with a calcium/vitamin D3 supplement such as Rep Cal every 2-3 days. A multivitamin supplement such as Herptivite is also a good investment.

Sorry to be so devoid of emotion...like I said, I'm kind of just regurgitating information here as I have no personal experience with these lizards. Keep doing your research, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. =D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

well, thanks that's really helpful :) idk if i'll get one but, i'll still consider it an option, since the tank i have is a 20 tall and i want what's best for them also the lighting might be an issue(don't know if i could fit a long uvb on the lid) but, do u have any other suggestions of lizards for my 20 tall tank? preferably one i could sometimes handle and would a leo be good in the 20 tall? i know they need the florr space though...and any snakes do u think would work?

sorry about all the questions lol and it's ok if u can't answer them all :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

You should be able to fit a tube light fixture on the tank. I just measured my fluorescent fixture, and it's only a little over 4" wide. That still leaves you enough room for a 6-8" diameter dome light for your heat source.

A leo would be fine in a 20 gallon tall. They wouldn't utilize the height, of course, but the floorspace is just a little larger than that of a standard 10 gallon, which is the minimum recommended size for a leopard gecko. If you or someone in your family is pretty handy, you could even rig up a second layer to give your leo some more wandering room.

A single crested gecko would be another good candidate for your tank. They can be a little flighty as juveniles, but usually calm down with regular handling as they age.

The only snake I know of off the top of my head that would be okay in that size tank would be a MALE Kenyan Sand Boa. (Females get a little larger than males and would need more floorspace.) Again, like the leo, it wouldn't take advantage of the height of the tank, but the footprint is fine for them. I'm sure there are other snakes that would be fine in a 20 gallon tall, but I don't know them off the bat. I'm not really a snake expert. =)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

ok, thanks for the options :) but, i might have sort of mislead u :/ i have a 20 gallon, but it's more of a square, so the floor space isn't that much as a normal 20 i think, it's 18x18x18 in.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Ohhhhhhh, well poop. That does change things. I never know what to tell people to put in those tanks. They're just so limited in length and floor space. I think small tree frogs like reed frogs or American green tree frogs would be the best choice. Definitely nix the leo and boa. I wouldn't do anything that requires UVB as the screen lids that come on those tanks have such fine mesh that it's going to filter out way too much UVB from a tube light (and it's too small for MVBs). A small crested gecko might be okay...but personally it's still too small for my liking and wouldn't do it myself...Meehhh. I know those tanks have a lot of appeal because they open from the front, but they're just such awkward demensions, and for the size you get they're really over-priced. =(

12. lizardgurl87

ya, but i got it on sale and i know they had a bunch of fire-bellied toads in there before , but i might get a few tree-frogs then and do you think a skink would be okay?

13. Cammy

Definitely not a skink. They need a lot bigger footprint; most will need at least a 40 gallon breeder if not bigger. Same goes with the firebelly toads--they're not climbers, so they need at least the floorspace of a 10 gallon. But the green tree frogs would be fine. =)

14. lizardgurl87

well, i'm pretty sure than that i will get some green tree frogs(or white dumpy's?) or move my anole(s)((I'll be getting another female soon)) to that tank and the old tank i could put a leo in :)