eating crix?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by KARI5274, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KARI5274

KARI5274 New Member

my hatchling corn snake refuses to eat live,frozen,scented,brained- any kind of pink. i was worried so i put some small crickets in the cage and 3 months later hes still alive. i think hes eating the crickets! anyone tried this?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Corn snakes do NOT eat crickets.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. slackin

slackin Member

So it's been 3 months since you tried feeding mice?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Wow. Not only do corns not eat crickets but the crickets sure can eat the corn! NEVER leave crickets in with any animal, especially one that does not even eat them!! If your snake has not eaten in three months and is only a baby there is something very very wrong....get him to a vet. www.herpvetconnection.com A healthy adult snake can skip a meal or two, but not a baby, not for that long. Do something, go to the vet and stop the non-sense with crickets. He NEEDS mice!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cosmosnake

cosmosnake New Member

I know my guy needs lots of privacy when he eats and sometimes he takes a while. How long did you leave him to the mouse?

12. KARI5274

KARI5274 New Member

i have left him a few hours, over night, and ive tried each method a few times. and since the crix have been in the cage he has been pooping. i dont know. and i know this moderator clementine obviously thinks im an idiot- thanks by the way- but u know that the vet isnt gonna tell me anything i dont know. and then hell bill me $300.

13. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Well if you're feeding a corn snake crickets, then you are an idiot. Colubrids such as corn and rat snakes do not eat crickets---they eat rodents.

I'd suggest buying Kathy Love's book on corns. www.cornutopia.com

14. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

oddly enough i had to tell the guys at petco the same things

15. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

hahah people crack me up. I said on another thread one lady was selling a corn snake and said "this snake is a little bit nippy but that's okay because corn snakes don't have any teeth" ROFL

16. KARI5274

KARI5274 New Member

i really love how this site is supposed to be helpful and there are so many jerks here. thanks for the help. i geuss im not good enough for the reptile club.

17. Katt

Katt Moderator

hey, listen. You are more than important enough to be payed attention to on this site. I'm sorry for any trolls that offend you but came one with a problem and i really hope you got your answer.

Alicia

18. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

You didn't ask for help, you simply stated you have been feeding him crickets.
    What is his set up like? Substrate, temps, type of thermometer, how is it heated, how many hides, humidity level? There may be environmental issues that can be tweaked, if everything is in order then explain what you have tried feeding, exact details....have you tried brained, in a bag overnight, just in the tank.....everything you have done for him. Ask a question and people will help, make a statement and people will comment.

19. slackin

slackin Member

Dude, when you say something like that, it's only going to drive people away from this site. If they are here looking for help, there's a chance an animal will be cared for properly. If we call them names for not doing things right, they won't stay and won't ask for our help. Educate them, not ridicule them.

20. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Oh give me a break. If that chases someone away, then they were never serious about their snake to begin with. Furthermore, it's basic cornsnake knowledge that you DO NOT feed corns and rat snakes insects. They are not insectivorous, period.

If said person was really giving their snake the best care possible, they would have looked at a care sheet and would have come to a website before 3 months of not eating.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if this person actually owns a snake. Hatchlings don't go three months without any food.

21. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Well lets see CalasCorns, that is exactly the reason I have stopped coming into the corn section of this forum. I used to ask the occasional question as Peaches was growing but now I would much rather read a few care sheets or call the breeder we got her from because I know you'll just come in and act like you know everything and I know nothing. You tend to ridicule people and in general be arrogant amoung other things. The whole point of this site is to educate people not tell them they are an idiot. Yes what they have been doing is wrong but take a look at Clementine's post much nicer and more informative yet still gets the message across that feeding crickets is a big no.

22. slackin

slackin Member

CalousCorns, I'm not saying I disagree with anything you've said. I rarely do. I'm just saying that if we were to call everyone that comes up with a harebrain idea for raising raising reptiles an idiot, this site wouldn't last very long. Sometimes you have to be a little more tactful if you really want to improve the life of the animal that is being asked about. That's all I'm saying. If this person decides that they are still going to feed the snake crickets even though they know better now, then you can call them whatever you want since they have already killed the animal. But as long as it's still alive, let's try and help. Lol.

23. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

its usless now cuz of that jerk she'll probably never come back

24. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Well excuse me if I have some knowledge of corns. I have 50+, so yes, I think that I know more about corns than a person who has one or two. If that ruffles your feathers, that's just too bad. I'm not going to apologize for having a differing opinion or because you're now 'scared' to come here and ask questions.

Secondly, the person called themselves an idiot before I made mention of it.

And I am not about to take pity upon someone because they couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes reading a caresheet to see appropriate food items for a cornsnake.

Get some tougher skin.

25. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

Haha! And people jump down my throat for bein hard on people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.