Dumerils Boa VS. Ball Python. Trade offs????

Discussion in 'Boas' started by downhillbikin, Mar 17, 2005.

1. ssscales

ssscales Member

Not at all, Dumerils are very docile and based on my experience with them they are very very calm. As babies some can be feisty, but what snake isn't. That is an individual basis, but again based on my experience with Dumeril's they are very calm and docile and if not become so quite easy with regular handling.

As for what would my first boa be, it all depends on how much I could afford. Am I on a budget? If so, I would say a Dumeril's boa, Hog Island Boa, Brazilian Rainbow Boa or a Jungle Carpet Python. All of these can be found at a price range between $125-$150.

If I'm in the (under $400) price range, I would get a Hypo or Anery or two Het Albinos.

As is now, I would like to in the near future get a trio of GTP's. Hopefully in the next 2-3 years.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. liza714

liza714 Member

I have a BRB and would not recommend them as a first boa. They have particularly high humidity requirements as babies and that can be tricky to tweak as a first snake. Ive read many times that they are nippy as babies but my little guy is sweet natured just demanding interms of enclosure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ssscales

ssscales Member

True, I assume this isn't the first snake you've kept? If you have some expirience keeping and maintaining snakes, you should be OK. It also depemds on where you live and your budget.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

ssscales, you said "If I'm in the (under $400) price range, I would get a Hypo or Anery " what are those? And do you have any pics of one?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ssscales

ssscales Member

I really have to set a day and time to update my pics.

Hypo is basically the lack of black pigmentation. Hypos are an important marker in making Ghost and Sunglows.

This is my Hypo DH Ghost.
    [​IMG]

Here is my Hypo Dh Sunglow
    [​IMG]

This is another of my Hypos.
    [​IMG]

Anery is the complete Lack of Red Pigments. This is an important marker in creating other morphs such as Ghost and Snow.

This is my Anery
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Sweet looking Boas. Thanks for the pics. Why does that dang show have to be so far off ( the 23rd)? I want to get one now. I have no patients.

12. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

Yeah i need something new, burt the python is getting a bit boring, well not boring but i need somthing to add to the collection. possibly male red tail BCI, dumerils, or columbian boa

13. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Oh yes indeeedy!

14. Toddicus

Toddicus Embryo

eeeekk..i just paid 320 for a Dumerils Boa....but they seem very rare around here...its the only one i could find...the same shop had a DP boa 6 months ago for 275 and it lasted a few hours...this one lasted not long ago..they had just fed it and i walked in to purchase it...6 months old

15. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Ya, pet stores are expensive. Your best bet it to find a reptile show in your area, even if you have to drive an hour or 2, 3, 4. You will save a lot of money. Also the snakes are usually healthier.

16. ssscales

ssscales Member

WOW, why don't you just check online? I'm sure you can find some Dum's for $150-$175 shippied to your doorstep.

17. BoidMastaBrownsburgIN

BoidMastaBrownsburgIN Embryo

I've been bitten by a ball python. It feels like a prick. Not much blood. I've came close with two red-tails on seperate occasions. One time I was adjusting something in the cage and I heard the sound of air breaking thats how fast he stuck. He totally missed me by like an inch. I noticed when the snakes are basking and are on the hot side there behavior is more instinct than when they are on the cold side. I like waiting for my snake's to relax and cool down so when I take them out they want to be with me to warm up again.

18. ssscales

ssscales Member

I've been bit by neos and juvi's during the first stages of handling, but as you said it's just a few pin pricks. It happens so fast you usually don't even feel it, unless it's a feeding response and they hold on.