Dumerils Boa VS. Ball Python. Trade offs????

Discussion in 'Boas' started by downhillbikin, Mar 17, 2005.

1. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

I have a BP now and want a Dumerils. Are they similar as far as temperment? I've heard mixed. Do they get more agressive as they get bigger? Just trying to decide weather or not to get one. Any body have a lot of experiance with Dumerils?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

I myself have never had a DB, but I know a little bit about them. Temperment can vary depending on how much time you spend handling them. I would also say that smaller immature db's are more nippy when smaller, and become more docile when getting older (not too sure though). They also get bigger than BP's, being 6-8' whereas bp's get between 3'-5'. Hope this helps ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Ok, I want one, my only problem is money. I found one at a nice pet store that is just under a year old, but it's $249.99. Thanks for the info.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

If you wait till your local reptile show they will probally have them for cheaper than 250 there since that was at a pet store. Porbally around 175, or you could just get a columbian red tail they get around the same size and cheaper but still look good

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Good idea, I think there is gonna be one in April, down in Madison WI

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Dum's are great snakes. Decent size and almost always easily handled and good feeders. I've used them for educational demos before, great handlers and very gentle.

12. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Dums are cool..... but be VERY VERY wary of any baby dums.
    A baby dum is probably the most challenging snake that you could get to start feeding regularly. They will typically be the best feeder you have after the first year though, but that depends on who raised them and how they were fed as young'uns. :p

13. clamper

clamper New Member

I have a dum great snake but she can be a picky eater

14. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Great, anyone know of one that's available? Hatchling to 1 or 2 years old? There is a Herp show near me in late april, but that's a long time.
    I have to work on being more patient.

15. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with adults being a picky eater. I've had to force-feed juvies their first meal before but they ate fine after that.
    We were looking for a Dum not long ago before we decided on the Sand Boa and the cheapest i could find was $150. But that was for older snakes, hatchlings may be cheaper but I don't know for sure.

16. ssscales

ssscales Member

I've kept and bred Dum's for a few years now. They are great snakes and do occasionally have issues during the first few feedings as babies, but usually get over that bump with a little patience. Once they do start feeding regularly they are usualy great feeders and never miss a meal, at least mine have been.

They are very calm snakes, easy to handle. Females get 6ft-7ft on average, some as big as 8ft-9ft.

$250 is crazy, going price for Dum's is $125-$150 on average from a breeder. $175 is still on the high side for a Dumeril.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

That's a great looking snake! How old is it? I thought $250 was high. They said they only feed them every other week to keep them small. (the pet store). That's seem crule to me. I wouldn't but a snake from them. The Dum they have is a year old and is about the size of my 6 month old ball. I'm going to go to a Herp show in Madison Wisconsin in late April. Maybe I'll find one there.

18. ssscales

ssscales Member

That girl is about 7 years old and that pic is about a year old, she's currently gravid and I don't want to disturb her to lift her up for a picture. But she is currently a little over 6-1/2ft, my other girl is about 6ft, the two boys are 5ft-5-1.2ft.

Pet shop snakes are ridiculously priced and most of the time the quality isn't there or the animals don't get the best attn. Then again they need to pay for the lease, insurance, employees, etc.

I'm sure you can find a good looking Dumeril at a show for $125-$150.
    Good luck and post pics once you do.

19. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

20. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

ssscales, have your Boas ever bitten you. My Ball just tried to bite my face last night. No good. But I am still planning on getting a Dumerils soon. Do they act more snippy at a younger age? Then mellow as they get older?

21. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

My Dumerils has never bitten even when in shed. He is a sweetheart and I've talked to Bill Love about these snakes and he says when he finds one in the wild they never bite. They are very mellow and don't get super big. The nice thing about Dumerils too is that since they come from Madagascar you know your getting cb since Madagascar stopped allowing people to take wildlilfe from there. And just because the pet stores Dum looked small doesn't mean it isn't healthy these guys grow much slower than most snakes. But I would not pay $250 for one either.

22. ssscales

ssscales Member

My Dumeril's have never bitten me. I'm always careful when feeding and cleaning, but most of the time they are very calm and laid back. As adults they are probably the most docile of all the snakes I've handled.

I handle most my snakes at least twice a week when young and most do calm down nicely, even my Argentines. The only ones I never trusted 100% were my Bloods, I sold them after 2 years of time, skin & blood.

As for Dumeril's, I'd say they are usually calm when young. Some may be nippy as most snakes at that age that are not use to being handled. But I assure you 99% will become puppy dogs with regular handling and interaction on your part. My adults are as tame as can be, even during birth and removal of the young they have never tried to bite.

Even the neos are pretty calm, just use common sense when handling them. Dumerils are great, in my opinion you can't go wrong with a Dumeril. Just make sure you start out with a healthy snake.

23. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

I am for sure buying a Dumerils now, my wife still says I can't get a second snake, but if it means getting rid of my BP, sadly, I will have to. I really like the Dumerils. They look so neat! Thanks for your input!

24. ssscales

ssscales Member

You won't regret it!

Try and buy one that is a few months old (3-6mo) that is established and alert. As with any snake check the usual eyes, mouth, skin, etc. for any signs of health issues.

When young they like to burrow so you might need a substrate they can hide under. As they get older you can switch to newspaper if you wanted.

Good luck!

25. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

I got a bag of premium cypress mulch from the local garden store today. I have it in metal bowls in the oven at 250 deg. I'll leave it in for like and hour and a half. That should be good enough to kill any bugs right? Dumerils do fine in cypress don't they? I'm getting this cage all ready and pimped out. It's made out of Melamine, and it's 4 feet long, 2 feet deep, and 18" high. I can't wait until the herp show. I sure hope they have some Dumerils for sale.