Dumerils Boa Handling Issue

Discussion in 'Boas' started by msc210racing, Dec 28, 2009.

1. msc210racing

msc210racing Embryo

I have a male dumerils boa and I am having a very hard time with him. He used to be easy going, but last year I had a bad shoulder injury and couldn't handle him for about 8 months ^_^ . When I was all healed up I tried taking him out and he was extremely defensive in his cage (getting in a strike postion and occassionally striking at me). He is fine out of his enclosure, but is very hard to get out, even with a snake hook. I am somewhat afraid of getting him out. Therefore he never gets handled anymore. If anyone has advice/techniques please let me know. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums mscsnakes! That's quite an unfortunate dilemma you have there

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've heard a few ideas here and there that I can try bouncing off of you. Hopefully one can help in some way, or perhaps another member on the board with greater experience with aggressive snakes may have another good idea or two.

Anyway, one of the first things I often hear about for taming snakes or familiarizing them with you is to put an old T-shirt or some piece of clothing that you've worn all day in the enclosure with them. I don't know if this actually works, but the idea behind it seems sound enough. He may begin to familiarize your scent with the comfort of it home and they make lessen his defensive behavior toward you.

Another idea may be more "hands off" exposure to try and let him know that you aren't a true threat. Try opening his enclosure and dont reach in, but just sit back and watch him for a few minutes and speak to him. I've heard that even familiarizing your snake with your presence can help lessen aggressiveness, but then again, I'm sure that since you've had him for so long you've had much of this already with water changes, cage cleaning, etc.

Here's another one, and this is something I would probably consider doing because it's just a conditioning method. Pick up some good gloves that the snake can't bite through and layer up your arm with material that is bite proof as well. Try to just pet him down the side occasionally. If he bites, don't stop, just keep petting him. Once he calms down and begins to behave the less defensively, remove your hand and let him be. Over time he may begin to realize that the biting and hissy-fits aren't going to do any good and aren't going to stop you, and perhaps eventually you can work your way to holding him with the protective clothing on and then finally with no protection.

Something else I've heard little about (so I'm not sure it's effectiveness) is simply throwing a towel or something over the snake before trying to take him out. He won't be able to see you and it may turn his mindset away from the strike. Or he may just lunge as you with the towel over him when you go to touch him...I dunno...but I could easily see that happening LOL =P

Hope that maybe one of the those ideas may be semi useful. Like I said, I have no personal experience with this but I figure doing any of those procedures may be a step in the right direction. Hopefully someone with more experience and ideas can chime in here. Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Belletair

Belletair New Member

I've never tried putting clothes in an enclosure, so I can't say if that works or not. But the removing of the top and then sitting there certainly helps. That's one of the tactics I'll use, and then after a while (after sitting for fifteen-twenty minutes) I'll take the snake out. First, though, I'll put my hand in the cage and just kind of... sit there. I try to see if the snake will let up and come over, and it's to let it know that I'm not a threat/predator. Some do, some just remain in striking position. Also, if you put your hand it to get the snake used to you I recommend not going too close right away... as that tends to frighten them.

But certainly gentle handling is a help. I know it can be intimidating at times, but as Jeff said use thick gloves and you should be Okay.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. msc210racing

msc210racing Embryo

Thanks for all the help. He's actually calmed down tremendously and has not struck since the post. I have taken him out now twice a week and he is truly easy to handle out of the cage. I came up with some of my own techniques. I first take out his hide box (with an old shirt of mine inside). Thats when he's at his worst, so I just leave him alone for about 5 minutes. I can tell from his breathing and puffing that he has calmed down ALOT after those five minutes or so. Then I gently position him with a snake hook and try to get his head to face outwards from me. Then I position my hand under his body(about mid way) while the top 1/3 of him is on the hook away from me. Then simply lift. All while wearing a thick coat lol, which will soon not be necessary. Once he's lifted above the cage and is out, he's great. I think he's just cage aggressive b/c I also feed him the cage, and like I said, there was a while where I couldn't handle him. I'm trying to get a new system for feeding. Im still a very young "herper," and appreciate all the advice I can get. I will try to get pics up soon. His pattern for his size/age is one of the best I've seen, and now his personallity is becoming a pleasure to be around!