DryLok

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Hummingbird, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

people have recommended DryLok for wood and bricks and stuff for turtle enclosures. anyone use this? anyone use any other kind of sealant for wood or masonry or whatever you make your enclosures out of? stains are bad because of fumes and such, plus they tend to veeeryyy slowwwlly wash away thus putting chemicals in the water AND you have to re-apply it every year. DryLok is the only thing that has ever been recommended to me for waterproofing cage materials that are gonna be in contact with water. anyone use this or recommend it?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I have never heard of anyone using Drylok. I have heard of people using fiberglass resin though.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. scarr105

scarr105 New Member

I used 2 part epoxy (used to seal garage floors). It comes in 2 cans which you mix then apply. It only comes in a few colors (gray, light gray, black). It's a little expensive it cost around $35.00 for a gallon. It goes on really easy but take several days to dry.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lacerta

lacerta Member

Like scarr105, I have had good success waterproofing plywood with a two-part epoxy paint sold at Lowes or Home Depot. I have done a couple of enclosures and it has stood up very well. I originally got the idea from a website on saltwater aquaria that had an article about buiding 120 gallon grow-out tanks from plywood painted with three coats of epoxy 2-part paint. The author has some tanks that have held water for almost 20 years without any leaks or problems. More importantly it cures to an inert substance that is totally non toxic. Marine fish are very sensitive to chemical and heavy metal pollutants, so it should likewise be safe for less sensitive organisms such as reptiles. I used two coats in the interior of my enclosures. Each coat takes about 24 hrs to dry/cure. Sand with 220 grit paper between coats. Good stuff.
    George