Does anyone know of any dedicated Iguana Rescues out there?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by rugbyman2000, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 New Member

Hey ig fans,
    My rescue org, Forgotten Friend Reptile Sanctuary, is so overwhelmed with iguana calls we can't take them all in. I've been referring people to www.greenigsociety.org (an ig adoption organization) and the free adoption message boards on our own site. I'd like to give these folks some better options though because bad things happen to reptiles when people are tired of keeping them.

I've heard there are a handful of good iguana rescues out there, some even down south with large outdoor habitats for rescue igs. I've only been able to get an email address for one, and I was hoping to line up a few more so I could send my ig calls in the right direction when we can't handle them ourselves. Does anyone know where I could find some names, phone numbers, or emails of some good dedicated ig rescues/preserves out there?

Thanks!
    Jesse
    www.forgottenfriend.org

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You'll probably find that most (if not all) reptile rescues are overwhelmed with Iguanas. My friend Candy who runs www.reptilerescue.on.ca has had up to about 30 iguanas in her care at any one time - all rescues - and was still getting more people wanting to unload them. It's sickening how many people get iguanas expecting them to just stay cute n' lil, then dump them when they get too big.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 New Member

!
    I have to agree with you. Every rescue I've ever talked to is overwhelmed with igs too. Many that I know of have stop taking them all together. Our philosphy is we know we can't take in everything, but we still want to help find a home for it. So when I heard about an iguana rescue down in FL with a nice outdoor setup for igs, I was hoping there were a few more down that way.

I just think its out of hand how easy it is to get igs and how little is known about them by the folks who bring them home. One recent call I got the mom told me her son came home with the ig as a prize from the fair...I think we all know they're a little different than goldfish

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

We have taken in a few iguana's and they have nice room size enclosures outside, but with wintre coming, even in Florida, the cold is too much for them and the frost can do some serious damage so they have to come inside and that space is limited to what we have now.

Sadly many people turn them loose down here, thinking they can survive in the temps, but freezing is still freezing, and unless they find a warm spot like around an always on a/c heat unit, they either will not survive or will have damage form the cold

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 New Member

That brings up a good question for Cheri and Axe. Some sources I've read say the green iguana's northern most range includes the tips of Florida and Texas. Any truth in this?

Or could it be the same problem that PA has with red-eared sliders? They're not native to PA, but in recent years have begun to establish colinies in PA (and battle native turtles for the natural resources) due to the high number of captive releases?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Your right, that is the range area now, but not native. in the 90's they were given away at County Fairs here, being imported into the Miami area. Not only sold in loads in pet stores, but sold on street corners. Many of those when they outgrew a 10-20 gallon tank were set loose. It s really sad, there are areas of Florida where there are hundreds living together. Just about 30 minutes south of me is thousands! BUt it does get to cold here in the winter at times and they die off in mass too.

They are a problem for homeowners, especially the elderly who are scared of this big lizard that comes into their yards and eats all their plants (they just love hibiscus, which is a major landscape plant here).

I think that is one of the reasons so many rescues are filled up and can not take anymore, they are rescued by others and shipped to other states to try and spread around the amount of them..... and now those are filled. We try to get as many of them out of the wild here collected before winter, as they either will not survive of lose toes/feet in the cold.