Does anyone else have a Dumeral's Boa??

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Mhswidder, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Mhswidder

Mhswidder New Member

I was just wondering if anyone else had one of theese beautiful snakes and if they do does your Boa spend alot of time in the water??? Maddy spends hours in the water bowl almost every day just wondering if this was normal we keep her humidity pretty high by spraying her cage daily and sometimes she digs in her subtrait after I wet it down . She seems fine otherwise she eats well and has shed twice sence we got her about 4 months ago. Here is a pic of her...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I have two... they are a totally different snake than the other boas we keep. Both are females, one is about 3' and the other is around 4'. Dums like to burrow and seem to like the cypress mulch or reptibark because it is easy for them to burrow in.
    A few of things you want to check if your snake is soaking a lot.....
    check it closely for any signs of mites or any other signs of irritation
    check your temps, if you dont have a digital thermometer get one and make sure the temps on the hot side arent getting above 90 degrees.
    Check your humidity levels... the humidity levels should be in the 50-55% range unless it is shedding
    If all those things are covered then the snake may just like to soak

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mhswidder

Mhswidder New Member

Thanks Stormy She is on Cocanut fiber bedding and dose like to burrow and Ive checked her for mites religiously and her temps are controled by a thermostat that I got from the pet store and I keep her humidity up so she just must like the water. Just a worried mom I guess :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

What are your actual temps and humidity levels?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mhswidder

Mhswidder New Member

Her temps run about 80 on the cool side and 90 on the hot side her humidity is at 55 according to the dile I have but I dont trust it I want to get a digital one I just havent found it yet

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

Digital is the way to go, you could be off as much as 5° degrees either way with one of those analogs. The humidity level looks good.
    Where is the thermometer and what are you using to heat the cage?
    If the dial is on the back glass and you have a bulb heating the hot side it could be much hotter then what the thermometer is showing.

12. Mhswidder

Mhswidder New Member

Her tank is not glass (except the front and it's plexiglass) its wood and I have a a ceramic heater that is on the thermostat and a basking day light during the day and a red night light at night My husband built her cage

13. stormyva

It sounds like you have a very nice setup..... but the digital thermoter will probably give you a better termperature reading. When you do get one take the probe and place on top of the substrate on the hot side of the cage to see exactly what the temps are there.

Oh and let see some more pics of your hubby's handi-work!

14. ssscales

ssscales Member

Hi, I have 4 adult Dumerils and I agree. I'd check your temps and go digital. Wal-Mart has some digital thermometers indoor/outdoor type that work great for $10.00. You can regulate the temp on both sides of the enclosure.

I'd also check her for mites if she is spending way too much time soaking.

15. clamper

clamper New Member

I am Mhswidder's Hubby and here is a pic of Maddy's cage I will try to get some better pic's another time
    [​IMG]

16. ssscales

ssscales Member

Here is a pic of one of my girls.

[​IMG]

17. stormyva

Wow...... that is one sweet, big, dumerils!

18. clamper

clamper New Member

absolutely awesome looking dumeril

19. ssscales

ssscales Member

Thanks, here is one of my males.
    He is really light in color. These are beautiful snakes and a pleasure to work with.

[​IMG]

20. Mhswidder

Mhswidder New Member

I want to eventually get a male for maddy but I have to slow down I have alot of things I want and limited space right now

21. ssscales

ssscales Member

I know what you mean!
    I had a 2/2 townhouse and every room of mine had snakes (wife wasn't too happy to say the least). We finally moved into a 3/2 with a 1car garage; which I was able to convert to a snake room last year. Wife is happy and I got my snake room!

[​IMG]