Do sav monitors hibernate?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by billyking66, Oct 27, 2010.

1. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

Brutus my monitor has slowed way down im a little concerned, if i keep feeding as i did in the summer he would be as big as a house. i geuss my question isdoes he fatten up for winter..? obviously i have to cut back how much...? he is around 2 1/2 ft long
    it is our 1st winter together, so yes im kinda new :) any advice is appreciated thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i've never heard of any monitor species to brumate. what are the temps, humidity, substrate?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

man thanks for getting back to me, well where to start, i live in ca i say this because are temps dont very that much but this year it got cold quick. what i thought my temps were & what they really were was off by a few deg I GEUSS A FEW DEG MATTER , i raised it up to88 under the bask 103 i take him out almost 4 hours a week, every sunny chance i get . subtate is indoor/outdoor carpet. plus he soakes in the tub once a week, HE IS VERY ACTIVE NOW & doing well, i did cut his food back by haif..... & he not so round plump but not fat...... im not kidding in the summer i was feeding 1 small rat & one hardboiled egg a week he was that active, like i said ive cut that in half/ one small rat/ 1 hard boiled egg every2 weeks, is he happy about this NO but iam, & he'll be heathier for it
    like i said thank you klik for your response i think i said all the info , if you have any advice or just want 2 talk SAVS
    im here thanks billy

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

ive been through quit alot with my monitor the last couploe weeks I LOVE THIS SITE but if you have issues with your SAVANNAH MONITOR i would go to
    savannahmonitors.org
    we have no care sheets here on this species

Mod Edit: I understand that some of the forums on the site are not as active as others, and that the site is not NEARLY as active as it once was due to some technical issues and some things I'm not at liberty to discuss - but it is againt the forum rules to post links to other forum based websites. Besides, taking activity to another site will only make it that much harder for ours to recover and for forums such as this one to maintain any sort of population - JeffreH

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

wow jeffreh i had no idea i had done something wrong, i came here with an issue with my monitor he is doing much much better my intention was to help someone else with similar problems without stealing there ideas (or copy right issues) it seems to me savannah monitors husbandry is all together different from any other reptile ive come across. from here on ill try to share my experience with these beutiful creatures.