do any lizards brumate? mine seems to do this!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by teiryklav, Jun 14, 2009.

1. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

hiya all. as you all know i exchanged the good eating new male to a lil female that haven't got any aproval from horny either :lol: and now she doesn't eat! for 7 bad days, she keep sitting in her hide, never come out, so i lift the hide to look at her every two days, and she doesn't seem to lose any weight from the start. so, may she be brumating?? why?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

anyone??

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. beefcake

beefcake Member

they just might like to hide more, but if its not losing much weight and not eating, it could be a form of brumation. although it is summertime and fall-winter isnt for MONTHS

id check with a vet or something to be safe

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

What we have to bear in mind here is. that teiryklav lives at the other side of the world.
    There is very little change in temps all year round, it remains tropical, even the diiference between the longest day and the shortest day is only 48 minutes, not like in the western hemisphere. The main temp differences are usually in the height of ground, coastal plains around 82F, mountain regions, 73F.
    It was recorded a few years ago when the temps suddenly dropped to 39F and caused many deaths. People literally freezing to death.
    It's more likely to be a seasonal change, rather than temp change, and it's possible they may be trying to brumate, if that's the word, so if they dont loose weight and look healthy, there is probably nothing to worry about.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

yeah, the weather's been fine i think.. let's just wait ;)