DIY Wood Enclosure, Staining?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by ockidd, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ockidd

ockidd Embryo

Hello all, I am new here. My name is Tyler.
    I am planning on building a 48" x 24" x 24" (120 gallons according to an aquarium calculator?) enclosure for either a Bearded Dragon or a Chuckwalla, haven't decided yet.

My question is, would it be okay to stain the inside of the enclosure? or would the stain cause some sort of health problem for the lizard? Also, if I have to build a smaller enclosure, say a 55 or 60 gallon, what would be some species to consider besides Beardies, Chucks, Leos, and Skinks?

Thanks everybody for your help!
    -Tyler

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Tyler,
    Welcome to the forums.
    Yes you can stain the inside but I would recommend you seal it with Eurothene water based varnish/sealer, once this has fully cured there is no risk to the animal.
    If you end up with a 50/60g tank then stick with the smaller lizards, with a maximum length of around 12", including tail. Research various lizards before you build the enclosure and see which would be best.
    The larger 48x24x24 is more suited to beardie's and chucks.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

there are plenty of snakes and frogs that could live in a tank that size, but if you have your mind set on lizards fat tail geckos would work well in there, and i know you said no skinks but just google crocodile skinks and see what you think.
    depending on how tall the tank is you could try anoles, long tail lizards, tokays, cresties, gargs, or even a gaint gecko.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ockidd

ockidd Embryo

Cool, thank you for the replies. I actually decided to build a custom sized cage to fit on top of my dresser. It will be 55" x 22" x 22" which is 115 gallons.

Is there such a thing as a cage being TOO big for a lizard? This isn't my case, just an example, but would a 115 gallon cage be TOO big for a single leopard gecko?
    But then I was thinking, most of these animals live in the wild with unlimited space, so I guess I kind of answered my question? :lol:

Also, what are some lizards that do not drop their tails? I do know how to handle lizards, but I tend to be timid around species that can lose their tails.

Thanks for dealing with my dumb questions! haha
    -Tyler

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Firstly, there is no such thing as a dumb question, the only dumb thing is when you dont ask.
    Actually yes the cages can be TOO big, depending on species.
    Your example of a gecko is a 115G, would be a waste of space. Leo's would be happy in a 20g, mainly because they require the heat on their belly, therefore a heat mat would supply all their needs. They require a temp of around 92f at floor level, this combined with a cool end and 3 hides, one being a moist hide to aid shedding. This sort of setup is adequate for a leo, it would also feel more secure. A 115g would probably cause a leo a lot of stress.
    Most lizards would drop their tails if it was a case of survival, some are more prone than others, gecko's being one, these can regenerate their tails, others dont.
    If you intend building a big one then beardie's, chucks or even water dragons would be best option.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ockidd

ockidd Embryo

Hi All,
    I am planning on basing my cage off of the Crossfire Enclosure plans, I will just be modifying the dimensions, and using all stained wood rather than melamine.

Do you think that the circular vents at the top are required, or will the two bigger vents on each side be sufficient? Here is a picture so you know what I am talking about. Also, what do you think about the exposed lighting fixtures? Are there some sort of bulb cages that I can purchase to prevent burning? What are your thoughts/ideas?

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    -Tyler

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Tyler,
    That looks like a nice terranium, if you are basing yours on that design, I would make some changes.
    Those two vents at side look huge and I would have thought they would be sufficiant, without the extra vents.
    I would also place one of those big vents much lower down, this way you will get a better crossflow of air through enclosure.
    I assume that cage is 2ft high, if that's the case the UVB tube holder, either needs to be lower or a platform building so the beardie can get within 6" to 8" of tube to get the most benefit from the UVB.
    It also appears to have the heat lamp holder at opposite end, not good.
    They really need to be at same end, they need both at same time, UVB + heat = SUN, beardie's bask in sun = healthy, happy beardie. If you have the higher vent near uvb and heat, it will draw air through and get good ventilation.

The UVB doesn't need guarding but it would be better if heat lamp was.
    I made all my guards from 1/4" mesh, I got from the garden supplies store, I'm not sure if this is available in the States but here we can purchase "ready-made" guards that look like this.
    spotlight_guard.jpg
    You could make your own based on this.

13. SoJocelynWasLike

SoJocelynWasLike New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I'm sure someone else probably has the same question... Another thing you could put in this that nobody mentioned is a frilled dragon. If you've had beardies a frilled dragon will be a good transition, as their housing and care are quite similar. Frilled tend to climb more, but a tank with a height of 2ft is perfect for a juvie. A beardie might not need something so tall, although it definitely wouldn't do them any harm.