Disposing of Crickets?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by zarffyn, Jul 27, 2004.

1. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

I had no idea where to put this. Maybe we need a forum that deals exclusively with feeders.

I normally get 100 per week, but I think the guy at the petstore liked me and gave me a lot more than that. I still had a bunch last night at dinner time.

Anyway, I went downstairs today to check on them. And there it was: THE BIGGEST, UGLIEST CRICKET I'VE EVER SEEN! Had to be longer than both my leos' heads put together.

Alright, they had to go. I didn't want to dump 50+ crickets in my backyard--my neighbor has beautiful roses and we have a small vegetable garden. So I dumped them in my spare 10g and set it in the yard. I'm hoping the local birds will see free meals.

How does anyone else get rid of uneaten crickets?

(I can't just hold onto them, my leos are still juvies.)

Ugh...I'm still grossed out. That giant cricket could have eaten ME! :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sirch

Sirch Member

how big was it length like an inch thats an adult cricket
    you can breed them and use their offspring to feed the crix

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

It was over an inch long. I know it was an adult.

I don't want to breed them. I only want to keep enough crickets to feed my leos for a week.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sirch

Sirch Member

makes sense my mom wont let me breed them but you could save some serious cash by breeding them

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I flush them down the toilet. If I catch them loose in the house, I don't know for sure what they may have been into. Since I refuse to feed those ones to the lizards... toilet it is. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

I think I might go out and just drown them, lol. Then I can safely dump them in the backyard.

I don't want to consider what my poor mother would do if she found out I was flushing crickets down her toilet. Heck, *I'd* be constantly checking for any escapees...lol. I'm paranoid. I hate bugs. I only put up with them because I love reptiles. lol.

12. Darina

Darina Embryo

Put them in an air tight container, stick them in the freezer for a couple of hours, this will kill them, then pin them.

13. herpslave

herpslave Member

If you want to kill them get something flat... and smack. Like a magazine. If you don't want to kill then use tweezers to catch it. It's no big deal. You shouldn't have to freeze a cricket to kill it either... If your afraid of bugs I wold not think you want a bug iny your freezer, same with your mother.

14. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

This was taken care of two weeks ago. I just put them outside in my spare 10g and let the birds pick them off. Didn't take long at all.