Direct Light on Leo's

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by lizardgurl87, Nov 29, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, on the "instruction sheet"(it's on the back of the business card) from the breeder where I got my leo from-it says no direct light-such as a day or basking bulb, but I have one I keep on the tank, but never really turn on. Can I turn it on for a few hours during the day? It would really help keep the temps up...and also-what's the minimum temps for the cool side? Is it better for them to have some light at least? I know they stay hidden mostly(except at night-well duh, they're nocturnal lol) They don't require UVB, right? but, would it do them any harm?
    Any answers/comments appreciated :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Leopard geckos' eyes are pretty sensitive to bright light, so I wouldn't advise having a bright basking bulb on the tank at any time. Switch it out for a blue moonlight or other alternative heat source which doesn't emit bright light instead if you are having difficulty maintaining the correct temperatures. I wouldn't advise having a UVB light on the tank, either. It isn't the UVB itself that would harm the gecko, but the stress from the bright white light that UVB bulbs emit would not be ideal.

Cool side temps should be around 80F, but absolutely no lower than 75.

Sorry for the delayed response! Hopefully this finds you better late than never. =)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

Alright, well I have the basking bulb I've been turning on every now and then for maybe a few hours, but mainly to maintain the right temps....I might have to get a blue moonlight in addition to my infared one-I'm going to a reptile show in a few weeks where I can get one at least. Thanks for responding!(even if it was somewhat late, but it's fine :) ) I originally had the basking bulb I use now for my anoles, but had to upgrade to an 100W with the bigger tank, it's good to have a spare always though. And I thought they needed some light, but the tank gets some from my the windows. Thanks!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. electrofelt

electrofelt Member

I have the same problem with lighting and keeping the cool side temperatures up. I agree with Cammy that very bright lights can be stressful. I had tried using the infrared lights and moonlights, but they kept burning out on me. What I did instead is I use a 40 watt household bulb, but then I positioned a bunch of fake plants with small leaves under the lights so it filters out the majority of the light. It's kind of like a mini rainforest style, with almost all of the tank in shade with little bits of light coming through. That was my solution to the heating/lighting issue. I just got sick of buying new bulbs every few weeks and the 40 watt bulb does a good job keeping the temps up and is a better alternative to a bright basking bulb.

But definitely go with the moonlight or infrared bulb if it works for you. The other option is you could get a low wattage ceramic heat emitter and that would also solve your heating/lighting issues. Hope that helps!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

Thnks!!! I only have a 10G and not much more room for decor' :/ I've had the nightbulb for a few months now though and it's been working at least :) Do the make CHE's for 10G's cause I always thought it was 20G or larger.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. electrofelt

electrofelt Member

I believe you're right about the smallest CHE's are made for the 20 gallon tank. However, I have a 20 gallon long and I use a CHE for a 55 gallon tank just because my room is typically cold, so it just depends on what your set-up looks like. With heating stuff like this, you can always buy the bulb and save the receipt so if it does not work you can just return it : )

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  12. lizardgurl87

Ya, I could try it-and I got a coupon to Petsmart for a light I could use :) My room's typically pretty cold too :confused: so, it might work and I can always return it-like you said.

13. lizardgurl87

So, wanted to say I got the blue moonlight lightbulb-like you reccommended-and it's working well!!! I use it and the red in the day, but just it at night, which makes night viewing better even!!! It's a 75W, while the red is a 60W-so, it gives off some more heat :)