dilemma

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by j9, Dec 13, 2005.

1. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

FINALLY! hopefully Lil will take a live pinky. good luck!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. j9

j9 New Member

well if she doesn't this time will carry on syringing until the next litter comes, and when she is eating again I can pick up the christmas corn who's on hold, thanks for the kind thoughts

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. j9

j9 New Member

well the pink survived it's night with lil, I really don't know what to try next, I'm leaving them together to see if she gets the idea that it is food, not company

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ayasha

ayasha New Member

Wow, J... took me a while to get to this point, (writing a reply) but I wanted to ready the entire 'saga' to ensure I am not duplicating.

1st...my deepest sympathy's to date. You are doing GREAT. I have had the whole 'Live' mice discussion on many other forums... and all is well. It most certainly is most often as a last resort. So we can put that to rest. Metinks only the vegans can say much as even we humans eat 'live' prey. We just have MacDonalds prep it for us...that's all.

Now, I can't say that I am of much help considering the luminaries you have already talked to. I will take te angle of a multi-species guy. Corns are probably the least fussiest eaters out there. I reead less feeding problems, techniques,concerns and ordeals with Corns than any others. So you are by no means alone.

I believe the number one reason I come across is usually stress.

Start with the Viv;

Ensure proper climate zones.
    Digital probe thermometers. I like one near the entrance of each hide.
    Occasional 'rain' in the enclosure. Will help with humidity levels.
    Add another hide in the center climate zone.
    Try non-plastic hides (create natural with rocks and dedding)
    Ensure nice 'burrowing' areas.
    Slowly increase temps and humidity.

That's a 'start'. Tell me some about his envoronment and we can explore more ideas. I shall keep an eye on other forums I got to. You should have a peek around other boards for any type of constrictor.. see some oters problems.

Talk to you soon

Dave

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. j9

j9 New Member

first off, thanks ayasha and eveyone else for your support, if I didn't have the forum here and 2 others with all the help I would be crazy by now and Lil would be dead.
    Instead she is alive and I'm just slightly mad.
    I will post details about the setup soon, but I'm on nights and have just woke up with another 12 hour shift ahead. If it is a setup problem that will be excellent, but her husbandry exactly the same as the ratsnake and other 4 corns who are all thriving. (seperately, in case that reads as if they are housed together!)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. j9

j9 New Member

Remaining mice now too big to try live, so I'll wait for the next litter to try again. Ms Fatty Arbuckle Diamond Lil now 30grams in weight, I've no doubt she will survive the syringe feeding until the next pinks are born.

12. j9

j9 New Member

I can see what you mean, but actually at the shop Lil was in a sandwich box-sized tub, stacked in a heated cabinet! she is still not eating voluntarily, the blinking mice ate all but 1/2 a pink from the expected litter :evil:
    Lil shedding once a month and now the impressive weight of 38g! awaiting new pink litter again, but if the mice repeat their nastiness I'll get a new pair.

13. j9

j9 New Member

haven't been on here for ages, so time for an update. Lil eats live pinks or peaches and fresh-killed crawlers with no hesitation now. She is 52grams, if there are no mice of the right size on her feeding day I offer her f/t, she ignores it , I force-feed it and she digests it.
    Here are some recent pics of her
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. j9

j9 New Member

Back again! Lil now switched over to f/t hoppers, and is a whopping 86grams.
    [​IMG][/img]

15. favrefan12

favrefan12 Member

I am very glad to here she is doing well. These success stories bring hope to everyone who has problems with their pet.

16. j9

j9 New Member

Lil is a huge monster now, 2 fuzzies or a small adult every week, well over 100g.
    [​IMG][/img]

17. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Wow! Great to see how well shes doing now! Congrats!

18. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Thats great news. I suggest using a temperature gun for cheking temps as well as a thermometer. That way you can get accurate readings all over the cage. You can get one for $20 at any auto parts store or gormet shop.

19. j9

j9 New Member

Time well over due for an update here! Lil is over 200 grams and has just developed her green spots!
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG]

20. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

when will you try to feed her again?

21. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

oops, I was on the first page and thought I was on the last, glad to see she got better... 2 years ago!