dilemma

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by j9, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Ria

Ria Member

So, you are saying that a captive bred snake has no inherent instinct to eat live food? So, if a CB snake were released into the wild it would not eat a live mouse/bird/lizard? You are saying it is wrong to feed live, so you would rather J9 let her snake starve? This is possibly one of the most inhumane ways to let something die and if I had to either starve to death or be constricted I know which I would choose. As DragonCharm has reminded you, even frozen mice were alive once and everything has to eat!

You are picking on one person who HAS to resort to live feeding in order for another animal - her pet that she cares dearly for - to survive. I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum that feed live on a regular basis. I know people who feed deformed corn snake hatchlings to king snakes - is this wrong? No, it is nature replicated in an enclosed environment.

J9 has a serious problem that she is desperately trying to address in the best possible way for the health of her snake and you aren't being at all productive.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. j9

j9 New Member

Thanks Ria, am starting to feel a little bit persecuted by sam, would not even have considered live pinks unless necessary, and not happy to have to. Lil active andwell, managed to stuff 1/2 pinky down her and it has stayed in!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

YAY! i'm glad to hear that lil is eating. at least somewhat. i worry when mine refuse a single pinkie...i cant imagine how difficult this all must be for you.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. georgieboy13

georgieboy13 New Member

sam/jon you really dont know what you are talking about.if you have nothing useful to say dont say anything

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ria

Ria Member

I'm glad to hear Lil has kept this meal down. Fingers crossed things continue going in a positive direction!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Me too.

12. sam42

sam42 Embryo

pardon who ever your talking bout my name is sam im from california ridgecrest. I dont know who this person is jon who you are talking bout ?.

I am just concerned man i understand if that only way she feeds but its my way of thinking we all do different ways.

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

sam jon was the other person harrassing j9 on here. Though he seems to be gone, you have picked it up, concerned or not. You must understand that j9 does not WANT or LIKE feeding her snake live mice but if that is the only thing that will work then so be it. That's life. Death is a part of that, whether the snake has to kill it itself or someone does it for them. It's done in the wild. And snakes are not fully domesticated likes dogs and cats are. They still have that instinct to hunt, obviously since Lil refuses dead mice. We kill our food as well, whether directly or not.
    Glad to hear Lil is doing better j9 :D

14. j9

j9 New Member

thanks for the support, have sneaking suspicion that my 2 persecutors are 1 and the same person, spelling and syntax is remarkably similar, I hope I am wrong but cannot understand why else someone would join the forum, put no info on their profile, post only to critisise me and show no pics of their herps?

15. j9

j9 New Member

lil is getting fatter at last

[​IMG] hopefully this pic will show our progress

16. j9

j9 New Member

Lil at her worst

[​IMG] for comparison, this is before I discovered the joy of blending mouse

17. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

RE: Lil at her worst

I definitely see some progress :D And I must say, Lil is gorgeous!!! Is her colouring really that pink?

18. j9

j9 New Member

Thanks, yes she is very pink, she was sold as a green-blotched snow, but understand the yellow and green will come in later, if at all. I knew there was progress from weighing her but comparing the pics shows how far we've come. it's upsetting to see how her spine was sticking out and I really was convinced I would lose her then

19. CornyGuy

20. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

Yes very nice and beautiful

21. Jay_herb_com

Jay_herb_com New Member

Yes very nice and beautiful

22. CornyGuy

Love the coloration.

23. elementboarder

elementboarder Embryo

I know this thread is a bit old, but could it be possible that your snake is stressed from the other snakes being in the same room? Maybe she can see them and doesn't like it? I remember reading that if a snake could see another snake, it could get scared and become stressed. That could be what was different at the shop, which would explain why she ate there and not at your house. Hope I could help, good luck.

24. j9

j9 New Member

thread old but saga continuing.........no sight of other snakes, as they are in tubs on seperate shelves. In fact in the shop the clear tubs were all stacked together in a heated cabinet, so if anything that should have been more stressful. But thanks for the input, there always could be an angle that hasn't been covered.

25. j9

j9 New Member

pinkies arrived last night, about 3 hours after I'd syringe fed Lil, at least 7 squeakers, so will wait 4 days then see what happens