Digital Thermometers....

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by UncleLunchBox, Mar 8, 2003.

1. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

I have heard that a good number of keepers have a digital thermometer to monitor temperature within an enclosure. This is because, from what I understand, a dial thermometer on the back of the tank can be showing that it is 10 degrees cooler than what it really is in the tank, because it only measures air temp right? Well, if this is so, will a digital thermometer help you to get a better idea of the surface temp? I take it that the surface temp is the temp of the substrate in the tank, correct? If I were wanting to put a digital thermometer, how would I go about it? I was thinking that I could run the cord through the bottom hole in the tank and place the small part that takes the actual temp right at the level of the substrate. Then I could just hand the part that displays the temp on the side of the cage somewhere. Thanks for helping.

UncleLunchBox ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Sounds like a good idea. We keep ours loose so we can move it around and check temps throughout the enclosure at any time, but digital is definitely the way to go.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Digital is the way to go! Especially the "three in one" with from Walmart.
    It has a min temp and max temp memory so you can see how cold or how hot it got during the day. It also display the remote and main temperatures as well as humidty at the same time.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

That definitely sounds like a nice deal there stormy. I'll keep that in mind and I'll probably pick one up today or tommorow. Thanks for the suggestion.

UncleLunchBox :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. XzyluM

XzyluM New Member

I'm with stormy on this one. I use all digital and they are truly the way to go. Only thing that gets better is the heat infrared ones that are pretty expensive.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

Well stormy, I picked one up today at ole Wally World and I got the most expensive one they got. :D I'll probably keep the sensor loose though like hobo said they do theirs' because when my income tax money comes in I plan on upgrading her tank to at least a 20L, so I'll wait until then to apply it to her enclosure. I like the idea that it reads inside AND outside temperature, being that it takes the temp directly from the display itself and it also gives you the temp from the sensor. This cut out me having to get a thermometer to hang on my wall so I could see what the temp was in my room. Pretty darn nifty stormy, pretty darn nifty I say. :eek:

12. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I really like the idea of the three in one. I think I'll pick up a couple more digitals myself as the ones we have now read only in and out temps. Can never have enough thermometers with all these lizards around! :)

13. emo

emo Embryo

can anyone tell me the name of the "3 in 1" digital thermometer
    and also the price?
    a friend of mine will be in Walmart next week and he can
    pick me up a few.
    I live in ireland and they don't come cheap over here.
    thanks
    emo

14. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

You don't neccesarily have to get one at Wal-Mart emo. They have some also at RadioShack I hear and they just be just as good if not better. At Wal-Mart there are a couple of different brands they sell and I don't know that one is better than the other. I got the most expensive they had which was about 25 bucks(I guess around 30 pounds for you huh?). If you are needing multiple units then I guess you would probably want to go with a cheaper model. Mine has all the bells and whistles, like the alarm that goes off if the temperature rises above the level you input for your needs. You don't have to get one that fancy though. They start out down here for like 10-15 bucks. The brand I purchased is a Springfield though so I hope that helps you out.

15. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Mine is a Hygro temp. It just does the in/out, min/max, and time on it. I got it at Walmart in Canada for $10-$15. If your friend doesn't get them, e-mail me and I'll look into the cost of buying and shipping them to you (however many you want). Then you can decide if you want me to go ahead with it. (just so you have a back-up plan... ) By the way, how much are the thermometers in Ireland?

16. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The ones that I get from Walmart typically run $14.99 and are the 3 in 1 type. They do have some other models that are less expensive that only do temps inside and out. Then the price drops to around $6.00 for one that only does temp and does not have the min/max memory.

Walmart is a great place to get stuff for your herps if you know what you are looking for... feeding tubs, cage lighting, thermometers, hides, artificial plant and cage decorations, and mite spray (Sawyers Tick Spray or Repel Permanone instead of Provent-a-mite).