Differences between a male and female?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by corey, Nov 14, 2006.

1. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'm wondering if there are any differences between a male and a female. For example: Male has a total length of ___. Female has a length of __. Male behaves like bla bla bla esc. Thanks!

Corey

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iGorx

iGorx Member

males
    1. necks are much bigger, they are plumper, if fed right with any reptile or animal
    2. cant house 2 males=fight.
    3. behavior is not set in stone, every gecko has his/hers personality
    4. their length is a 1-2 inches bigger then a female, again depending how you look after it and food you give it.

females
    1. 1-2 inches smaller then a female, or equal depending on care and food you offer.
    2. 2 females can be housed unlike males but only if the females grow up together from baby stage. not recommended, there will be stress which hinders growth and helth.
    2. behavior is not set in stone, every gecko has his/hers personality

it all comes down to the geckos personalities, you can never expect any of this from each gecko

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hey,

Ok. So basically the males are 1-2 inches longer and are plumper than the females and I pretty much know that two males will fight especially having two Bearded Dragons!. Thanks!

Corey

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

Are you looking for the "how to tell the difference between male and female" pics, or just some general characteristic differences? I wouldn't go by the "male is bigger" to make a determination. When I asked about determining gender based on size, several people told me that they have a large female :(

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

The only way to tell is by sexing them, which can be done around 5-6 months old. You can't go by size or weight or necks or plumpness. Here is a sexing guide. If you are asking about personality or which is a better pet, it doesn't make a difference really. Leo's in general are friendly and inquisitive, typically males or females both make great pets. Every Leo is different and has it's own little quirky behaviour, not usually based on it's sex.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Nero

Nero New Member

In general malees will have a thicker head, and neck,

12. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hey,

Yeah, I'm just looking for the different characteristics of a male and a female. Thanks!

Corey

13. LittleLouie

If I remember correctly, 5-6 months is the earliest you can determine the gender of your leo. What age is it that you can know for sure by?

Is the male's v-shaped row of pores as dark and definate in real life as it is in the photo in the link?

At three months old, I was guessing Boo was male; I've been less and less sure as time has gone by, and now, at six months, I'm wondering if my baby is female.

The pores have not darkened at all; if anything, I think that they are less noticable than at 3 months. The bulge . . . I think it's pointing in the female direction also, but I'm not sure about that yet either.

14. Cavemanpets

Cavemanpets Well-Known Member

on my boy sparkie the pores are pretty much as dark as the ones in the pic... hope that helps

15. LittleLouie

Yes, that helps. How old is Sparkie? Do the pores darken early on, or over time?

16. Cavemanpets

Cavemanpets Well-Known Member

uhm hes almost four years old... but when he was about 7months he got all snipy and wouldnt let me pick him up this went on until he was bout 9 maybe 10months then he was fine and i saw the pores were obvious... but his buldges didnt get prominant until he was about 14 months....

17. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd call the pores dark... more prominent than anything.

I know my male is heavier than all my girls, and longer. And he's got a wider head than them. I can usually sex adult geckos by head shape now. There really is a difference. Males have DEFINITELY got a square/diamond shaped head while females are more elongated.