Diet

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by hobotramp, Jan 24, 2003.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Is there any kind of problem with feeding mainly mealworms to the agamas? They eat crickets sometimes, but don't seem very fond of them. The mealies on the other hand go down quite well. Our local suppliers for wax worms had a shed fire and lost all his stock, so waiting for some more of those. They don't seem interested in any kind of leafy vegetables. Any suggestions for any other food we could try them on, or just comments if it's okay to have a mainly mealie diet (try saying that fast a few times)?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Well I don't know what an agamas is but you could try them on pinkies (day old mice incase you call them something else), that's what I did with my geckos when they wouldn't eat and they took them with ease. Or you could try looking up care sheets about them on Yahoo! that always helps me.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Agamas are the family of lizard that the beardies are part of. Ours are either Montane or South African Ground Agamas. Both types come from South Africa. If you look in the photo gallery we have pics of all our babies. Shango and Oshun are the agamas (as was Thoth). The other 4 are the brown anoles. Check them out and let me know what you think.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Hey they are really nice. They look a lot like my beardie :) You have sorted the feeding out haven't you?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Very similar in appearance to the beardies, but smaller. Shango is 13" now and Oshun is around 7". They love the wax worms we've been getting now and the mealies too. Really pigged out the other day and haven't been eating as much for the last two days, but they are still eating a bit... just a little less at the moment. Between the two of them they ate 2 superworms, 6 large mealies and about 20 wax worms. I guess that's good since the vet wants them fattened up some before they get put on the medication for the coccidia.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

They sound like major pigs eating that much :)

12. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

They are really cute. They look a lot like a beardie, but mini!

13. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

They didn't eat much for a couple of days after that feast of worms, but today they had 6 wax worms and 2 mealies. Guess it's helping leaving the food in with them. (Crickets too) We're just making sure to put a little food in with the worms and crickets for them to eat as well. We go to Florida the end of this week, so when we get back we'll be taking them to the vet to get treatment started.