Did you know or have you heard of?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by natashaccollins, Jan 19, 2003.

1. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Did anybody know or has anybody heard of 'silent crickets'? They are brown and black in colour and their size is bigger then a brown, yet smaller then a black. It is bliss at night, no more chirping to listen to ;) If you read this Axe this could be the solution to my knowledgebase article I sent you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I have never heard of silent crickets but that sure would be a dream.... no noise from the reptile room :)
    I am lucky to find a good medium cricket around here so silent will probably never be seen :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptscue

Reptscue New Member

Personally I enjoy the sound....To me it's calming. :))

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

We've been buying crickets ranging from pinhead to 1/2 inch and have only ever heard one making any kind of noise. We just thought it was the way they were bred or something (too young maybe).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The smaller crickets dont make noise... it's when they get to adulthood that they start "chirping".
    Reptscue, I also think the sounds of crickets in the distance is a wonderful and relaxing sound, BUT a cricket that escaped jail and is hiding somewhere in our bedroom, near our bed, under the baseboard where we cant see him is ANNOYING Being woken 2:00 in the AM with a very loud chirping cricket is not relaxing and wonderful though! By the way Black Knight Mite and Roach spray works wonders at quieting annoying crickets in your bedroom :) ( Dont spray in anywhere near the cricket prison population though... they will all die )

[Edited on 1/22/2003 by stormyva]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've heard of the crickets that don't make any noise (as adults) before, but I've not ran across any.

Even having 10,000 of 'em in the living room it doesn't bothere me that much though. They don't make any noise as adults, and not many of them live long enough here to reach adulthood, not with all the dragon juvies we've got right now.

I don't know, I think I might be paranoid with silent crickets, I'd think the population had died off in my sleep or something, I'd be checking on 'em every 10 minutes to make sure they were still alive :)