Dehydration/force feeding

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Virginia, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Hello all! I'm having some problems with my Madagascar Iguana. And my vet appointment isn't until thursday.
    A few weeks ago I noticed he started looking dehydrated. So I began to hand feed him water via syringe which he lapped up greedily. The next week he perked up and was eating some crickets I hand fed him. But this week, he is still drinking via syringe but refusing any solid food, and beginning to lose weight and act listless. He has bursts of energy where he looks normal as ever and other times, he'll just flail and act as if his limbs don't work, or just go limp. Other times he will puff up his chest and stomach like a little ball, which is new to me. I'm just baffled as to what brought this on. He has no obvious signs of impaction. I've given him numerous warm baths. He is shedding at the moment. He always ate less while he's shedding but never to this extent. He is over 6 years old (their life expectancy is 10). Small for his age, he was a Petco rescue, and I'm pretty sure his growth has been stunted because of it. I keep his 10g terrarium at mid 80's, ten degrees cooler at night.

I was giving him an electrolyte formula hoping it would stimulate his system and get him to eat on his own, which worked at first but that's not happening now. Anapsid.org recommends ensure. Has anyone tried this? And any tips on feeding via syringe? I'm still nervous about it even though I feed him with one twice a day. The last thing he needs is a respiratory infection. I've also heard about pedialyte baths? And once I do get him eating again should I feed him more mealworms to put the weight back on, or would wax worms be better? Thank you, any help is much appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

how big is that thing?
    is a ten gallon to small for him? (you think)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Virginia

Virginia New Member

He's more like a swift than an "iguana". So he's about 4 inches long not counting his tail (he should be about 6). But I do have a 20 gallon tank I used to switch yearly.

But thanks anyway guys, I'm afraid it's just his time.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Sorry I missed this post.
    I would leave him in the 10g, moving now will cause more stress.
    Ensure is very good and has been used by many people, just dont use the Chocolate.
    I think it would be better to give him the Pedialyte rather than baths.
    Give him a few waxworms but not many as they contain a lot of fat and his system may not be able to cope with it.
    Any chance of having a fecal test done in case it is parasites that's causing it.
    Sounds like he had a poor start in life, which wont be helping now,
    Try the ensure and pedialyte mixed may be easier to get down him.
    When feeding by syringe, hold him upright so it runs down his throat, not so much effort to swallow that way. Place syringe in side of mouth and drip it in slowly.
    Good luck with the little guy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thank you very much Bruno I really appreciate it. Though I'm afraid his condition is worsening. He's pretty hydrated (judging by the skin pinch test) and his previous stool samples showed no sign of parasites. And no sign of mites. I boiled and baked everything in his terrarium just to be sure. I'm still very confused by it. I'm just trying to make him comfortable now.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. beefcake

beefcake Member

your a good owner, im sorry to hear he is suffering good luck

12. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thank you so much. That means a lot to me. He passed away this morning. He had a very good run and he was happy. Thank you all for your help.

13. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Virginia,
    My thoughts and heart are with you at this sad time.
    Sounds like he had a good and happy life with you and was cared for right up to the end.
    Personally I think they do know when you care.
    He will be waiting at Rainbow Bridge for you.

R.I.P. little guy.

14. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thank you so much. He did have a very happy life, and he couldn't have been more loved. The wonderful memories and the knowing he went peacefully is a huge help. I will miss him terribly though. And he definitely is waiting for me! Thank you again!