Curly-tailed lizards

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by ReptileGurl10, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ReptileGurl10

ReptileGurl10 Embryo

Any1 got a Curly Tail?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Yeah, hundreds of them. Let me open up the door and peak outside.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ReptileGurl10

ReptileGurl10 Embryo

Where do u live?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

South Florida

<------- see

They are all over the place here.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ReptileGurl10

ReptileGurl10 Embryo

I live in Tallahassee,Fl. I bought a Haitian Curly-tail. I only see green Anoles outside

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

You've got green anoles!? Those are few and far between here. Everything else moved in and took over down here. All the anoles are brown, curly tails chase them around and we've got wild iggies running around my university campus.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Same here, no greens in Sarasota, plenty of brown anoles though, the occasional skink or glass lizard. No curly-tails either :)

13. lacerta

lacerta Member

I lived down in Guantanamo Bay Cuba for 4 years and the place is overrun with two species of curly tail. One was Leocephalus carinatus, and another larger species. This larger one (the name escapes me) had a Very Prominant curly tail that was held high over the back. The underside of the tail was white and the lizard would run a short distance and flick the tail rapidly. First time I saw one I thought it was a chipmunk. The rapid jerky flicking movement is just like a chipmunk's. One of these days I am going to pull out my massive kodachrome collection and when I convert my emulsion media over to digital I will be able to share these images. Curly tails were common around rock piles, concrete rubble, building foundations, etc. Had a big one that lived under my central air condx unit. They spend much time basking. They stay close to cover where they retreat frequently. Eastern Cuba is considered "Carribean Desert", very little rainfall but still much humidity due to being right on the ocean. Typical highs were in the low-mid 90's during the day, and I don't ever recall the temperature dropping below 78 F at night (Even in the middle of January).
    These are my personal observations of one particular wild population. You might want to check around for some "care sheets".
    Axe or Boaman: Got any idea what the species of curly tail I was talking about that has the deeply curled and hyperactive tail ??

George

14. DJeter26

DJeter26 New Member

Hey, I live in South Florida (Coral Springs ) and i've also got curly tails all over the place. If i capture them, could I sell them, and if so, for how much?