cricket growth...

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by teejude-thegreenmenace, Jul 5, 2004.

1. teejude-thegreenmenace

teejude-thegreenmenace New Member

how big do crix get? do they have specific kinds that only grow to a certain size? or are the small ones u buy at the petstore just young ones. i need to know because it would be beneficial for me to buy in bulk, but im not going to if they will grow too large too fast for my little guy to consume enough to grow big and strong, he is just a young one. any help would be greatly appriciated. :mrgreen:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Neil

Neil New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

I buy about 1000 crickets at a time. I order 1/4 inch and in one month they get to be about 3/8- 1/2 inch. How big is your gecko? Mine are about 6-8 inches and they can easily eat 1/2 crickets.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. blueinfinity

blueinfinity Embryo

i had the same questin. my gecko is about 3 inch from nose to tip. maybe a bit less.. she cant eat full grown crickets

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

Buying in bulk for a 3 inch gecko is not going to be economical for you. They will grow too quickly. I have 8 reptiles, so my crickets don't last longer than a month. Crickets grow to about an inch long. You can buy like enough for a couple of weeks at a time, but not 500 or 1000. It will cost you more in the end.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. flang_uk

flang_uk New Member

my small crickets have got to monster size its scary!

12. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

They are so gross when they get big aren't they?

13. flang_uk

flang_uk New Member

tell me about it, i was a little freaked out when i got my first batch of small ones, now im on the larger ones i get so grossed out by them THERE SOOOOOO BIG URRKK!

14. teejude-thegreenmenace

teejude-thegreenmenace New Member

i havent measured my gecko, but i know that he cant handle crickets that are too big, thanx for your help, ill just have to wait 'til he is older, then i can start raising my own i guess.

15. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

yes the small crickets are a nightmare. i had one tub and now dont use them. i stick to feeding my leo locusts. much easier to catch and a lot slower. also the basic rule of feeding is you should not feed your leo anything thats bigger than the width of the head. but the odd big waxie never hurts :)