Crestie won't eat baby food or Gecko Diet...only crickets!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Bigbossfan, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Bigbossfan

Bigbossfan Embryo

Is this something I should be concerned about?? I've even tried handfeeding her some baby food, (i.e., put some on my finger, hold it by its mouth, to no avail...then smeared some on her lips...still to no avail).

Can someone also confirm for me how many crickets I should be giving her. She is 4 weeks old.

Tx.

BBF

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Yea i am having the same problem, but when i pick it up and put some right in front of her mouth she licks 4-5 times but it only worked once. If you just sit the food in there near its usually night chilling spot there is a chance he licks some but you just dont notice because your sleeping. I guess maybe check for indents or something of like that and that might mean that she had some. Any advice from others because im having same problem.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Honestly, I dont see the problem with them eating crickets. We have to use babyfood because Milo wont eat crickets (at least we dont see him eating and they are usually 5 of the 10 still in his cage after the night). Also, Milo wont eat from my finger, but will eat it if I put it in his cage. Another thing, BigBoss, I noticed you just got your crested. Maybe wait a little bit before he settles in. He might be weary of you, still. Otis, our other crested (we've had him for around 5 months) will eat frommy finger, now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

They can be picky, fiddle around with different babyfood flavors to see if they have a "favorite". They can learn to like one type and refuse to eat any other flavor that comes into contact. Thats how it is with Spike and his peach, so I gotta get him lickig that then mix em in :D.

Give a bit more time, a few more days or so. Keep offering crickets and try babyfood from a dish inside the enclosure. Put some on the nose and they will become annoyed, and eventually lick. Then, realizing they have something scrumpdiddlyumptuos in their mouth, they will continue to lick :) , usually...