crestie tails

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by lizardlove, Nov 16, 2004.

1. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

hi guys. i'm thinking about getting a crestie from my job that has dropped his tail. i know they don't grow back and i am hoping that i can get him for a little cheaper, cuz i don't wanna spend 55 on a hurt crestie. he doesn't seem to be doing to well at petco, and i was looking for some advice. i'm trying to keep the cage very moist as he is shedding as well as just having dropped his tail. is there anything i can put on his tail, it is looking a little scabby and nasty? i really don't want to lose him, and he's a little lathargic. i would love any advice i can get.
    :p (if i get him, i'm gonna name him rottweiler, on account of his stubby tail!)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

What is the setup like? Temps, diet, substrate, etc.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

cresties drop their tails all the time, if he's hurt, it's not from dropping his tail....no offense to you but, if I were you I'd try to get him out of there if I were you.....Petco doesn't have the greatest reputation as far as reptiles go.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

well, as my boyfriend and i are his main caretakers, i'm not too worried about petco's reputation, though i know where you are coming from, and i don't take offense. our store is ok though. he is on that forest bed stuff, we're trying to keep the humidity up, esp. since he is shedding, and i'm not sure about the temp. i am just worried about his tail, cuz i've never seen a dropped tail look so scabby. he's got crickets and that commerc. food. i'm hoping to get him soon so i can give him some baby food.
    oh, and i don't know how he dropped his tail, so if he's hurt it might be related. i don't think anyone had touched him when he dropped it.

thanks for the help guys. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

The temps are kinda important and I suggest you find out what they are. Please do not take any offense to this but if you don't know the temps of an enclosure how can you possibly say the animals there are well taken care of?

If you know the ambient temp of your store is in the correct range and have no supplemental heating in their enclosure I will understand but if that's not the case please re-think the importance you put on your husbandry. Do you know the temps?

If you see an animal in a pet store that obviously does not take very good care of their stock the worst thing you can possibly do is buy that animal. What you are doing is making room for an additional animal to suffer just like the one that's already there. In addition to that you are only supporting that business and paying them to make these animals suffer.

I understand the want to rescue a suffering animal from a pet store but you have to look at the big picture and understand it's just not in the animals best interest as a whole to rescue the one suffering in a pet store. Now, if that pet store were going out of business that's a different story.

Here's some info about pet stores and things you can to do help stop the suffering. Things like sending complaints to the Better Business Bureau, local newspaper, local TV and radio stations, etc. I understand you concern but please take a look.

http://www.anapsid.org/pettrade/index.html

Also, I want to make it clear because I have this attitude about the pet stores that really bite, I don't think all pet stores are this way as I have local one myself that does a great job. I just know a lot of them are horrible, horrible places.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

well, i don't think it's a good idea (for me anyway) to send in a complaint on the store where i work... also, recueing the crestie will not be making any more room for another, than him dying will. and considering i work there, i don't care about supporting them. you can have whatever opinion you want, but i don't really appreciate the hostility, and it would be nice if you could restrain it to the pet stores and not me. i'm sorry that you have this anger, but i don't think it's fair for you to be like that to me. you don't know anything about me other than what i have told you. :)

you know i've really noticed about this site, that the most knowledgable people here have real attitude problems to people who are only asking for help. i don't know about all the other new members, but i don't know if i will be asking for help anymore, i don't appreciate being badgered.

12. wideglide

I totally agree.

Hey, if you don't care there's not much I can do about it other than try to enlighten you. Obviously I didn't accomplish anything close to that.

If you'll notice I asked you politely not to take offense at this. I think if anyone, regardless of if it's a pet store or my own mother, cares for a reptile and doesn't know the temperature of the environment they are not taking good enough care of their animal. See, if you don't know the temps maybe, just maybe you haven't been educated about how important they are and if I can relay that information on to you why in the world would I not do that? Why in the world would you not just take it as a learning experience instead of becoming so defensive? I'm sure you have your reasons but frankly I'll post the same post next time because I really don't know what's going on in your life to cause you to have this sort of reaction and I'll take my chances again and again and again.

If I actually said something to offend you I apologize. That was the farthest thing from my intentions here and I guess I might be able to understand how you could have been offended by me saying "how could you possibly think they're taking good care of their animals." Again, I was not trying to belittle you. Please try to understand where I'm coming from here. Honestly, do you really think someone who does not know the temperature of an enclosure is taking really good care of their animals? If you really do then I will ask you again to rethink the importance you put on husbandry. You have to understand these animals have absolutely no choice what so ever but to live in the environment we provide for them and most of the time the reptiles we keep need to be kept at certain temperatures in order to survive. It's like someone placing you in jail and turning the temps up to where we keep our beardies at. Would you really like to be in a cage that is 90 degrees all of the time? Please try to see where I'm coming from here.

You are so right here and that's exactly why I included the statement "If you know the ambient temp of your store is in the correct range and have no supplemental heating in their enclosure I will understand".

I really do believe this is only your perception and I can tell you from all the compliments I've seen people give this forum and from all the animals lives and wellbeing that I've seen the people here help make better your opinion really is in the minority.

If you can tell me exactly how it is that I badgered you then I'll take a good look at the way I word my posts. I'm a reasonable person and if I have justifiably offended you I'll change. I will say you really haven't convinced me at this point but if you have more to add please do so. Take into consideration I'm only trying to help and educate people here and I'm not trying to put anyone down or upset anyone.

13. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

yeah well i probably took things a little too personally. it's just that i've been reading alot of posts lately, from several people, that i thought were just plain mean. i feel a little defensive about my job, b/c everyone i talk to tries to tell me how screwed up petco is, and not one has ever been to my store. and they take their hate out on me. i've gotten a few private messages that really hurt. i'm doing everything i can to make my store better, and it was already better than most.
    i personally don't know the temps, b/c i'm technically not working the back room, i just help them with it. others in the store do, i just don't have those numbers at my disposal.
    i don't agree with not taking a sick animal, because if the animal dies, it will leave the same space for a new one. i also was not going to pay full price for it anyway.
    i shouldn't have taken my frustration out on you, it was more directed at some of the other people here. everyone needs to understand that just because you know alot about some herps, it doesn't make you superior!
    what bothered me was your comment about what to do with the people who work in bad pet stores. this is b/c people accuse us of being poorly run, but when you have as many animals as we do, you can't expect every one to be in perfect health, often they are sent to is in bad shape. we do everything we can, often spending more on vet bills than we could possibly sell them for.
    sorry for being defensive...

14. wideglide

I'm actually going to edit my post and take that out. It may be a little too much.

I've seen some of the things you're talking about and I agree with your statement but they really are pretty rare and most of the time people in her are top notch.

I don't expect it but I think it's the way it should be. I think they either need to lessen the number of animals or indeed make sure they are in perfect health by whatever means necessary. I really can't help if money gets in the way, these animals have no choice and should not be simply considered as product on a shelf. They are living, breathing creatures and they feel pain and suffering just like we do.

That's probably due to the supplier the big companies use. It's all about money and I can guarantee you if people like myself didn't have these feelings and didn't urge people to do something to make this better these stores would not spend the amount they do on the vets. The people who run these stores, who make the final decisions on how things are run, are in it for the money. Selling a Dewalt Power Drill for a high price and not caring if it's filthy is a completely different story than selling a living, breathing creature who actually feels pain.

I have no doubt that you personally and maybe some if not all of the people in your store do do everything you can but with all of the posts I've seen about horror stories and from personal experience there is a big problem going on here and it's bigger than your particular store, it's nation wide. If you have 2500 stores and 100 of them are like yours but the other 2400, which you may never walk into, keep their animals in conditions that are absolutely horrible, that's a big problem. Of course these numbers I'm throwing out here may be completely off but if I were to take all of the posts from people like yourself who work in good stores and compare them to the number of horror story's I've read, the ratio would probably be about the same as above.

15. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

thanks i appreciate you removing that part. you are absolutely right about other pet stores and the horror stories. i wish i could have some effect on all the other petcos and other stores.
    we change our suppliers quite often due to the condition of the animals, it's hard to find a good one. and often the good ones stop trying.
    i wish we could all end the suffering going on out there.
    thanx wideglide. i'm sorry.

16. wideglide

And I'm sorry for the morbid remarks :lol: ! Good luck with the cresty, I hope his behind ends up being okay.

17. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

well i appreciate it, but when i got to work tonight to talk to the manager about him, he had already died. noone knows what happened to him, they found him this morning. i almost cried when he told me, i really had my heart set on him... maybe i will by one sometime, but i don't feel right about doing it now. :cry: thanks anyway guys...

18. wideglide

Awe, that's too bad and I'm sorry that happened. Maybe it's best that this happened when it did as opposed to after you had aquired him. Give it a little time and I'm sure you'll fall in love with another one and hopefully that one will not have the health problems this one did. It sounds like there is nothing you could have done for him and he was just not meant to survive. Take care.

19. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

it's ok. it is good he wasn't in my care when he died. i'm going to wait a while though to get one. i did take home another sick leo last night. i dunno if he will make it. he had three seizures last night, and i didn't even know leos could have them. he has eaten i little when i hand fed him. thanx alot for the help and concern...

20. wideglide

Good luck with the leo.

21. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

i think he's gonna be ok... thanks, if you want to see my guys they're on the photos forum under "my babies"