Crested Gecko Set up

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by vermithrax, Sep 2, 2004.

1. vermithrax

vermithrax Embryo

Im going to be purchasing a crested gecko in a few weeks but I am unsure of one thing and I am having problems finding it on the sites that I have looked at. 1. Are crested geckos nocturnal? and 2. do they need a uvb light, if so how big etc?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

i am pretty sure they are nocturnal. i have a uvb bulb on during the day.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

They are definately nocturnal.

Being nocturnal they don't necessarily need UVB, however most agree that it is always a good idea. Even nocturnal animals can benefit from it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. vermithrax

vermithrax Embryo

Thanks for the info. Anything else i should know about them? Im not sure if im getting a baby or an adult yet. IM going to a reptile show here in WNY in a few weeks and I know scales and tails are going to be there so im hoping i can get something from them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joe5555

joe5555 Member

Most of the reptile shows i go to have only babies. a good tip is too never have there tank higher then 80 degrees but you probly no that already.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. caesiusdraco

caesiusdraco Embryo

Personally, I think UVB bulbs are a big waste of money on nocturnal lizards, and yes, Crested are nocturnal. Frankly, nocturnal lizards are hidden during the daylight hours in their natural habitats, and aren't exposed to the daylight rays that give out the vitamins and supplements sought by UBV bulbs. They're really expensive, and aren't necessary. Even in a growing, young animal simply offering a good diet and powdering their food is sufficient. As for lighting, all my nocturnals really like the NightGlo lights by Exoterra.

I don't know why you would want to keep him under 80 degrees. That's a pretty stable temperature for most reptiles, considering most warm-bloods run somewhere in the 90s or above. Ours at wok is aboe 80 consistently, and he's prefectly healthy.

Food-wise: T-rex makes a good Crested Gecko Diet that you can try. Ours isn't too fond of it, but another option is babyfood. Peach and squash seem to be favored. Crickets are more of a treat, and can be used to offer vitamins as well if you shake them up in ReptiCal or something similar.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Now hold up.

-caesiusdraco,

I know you mean well but crested geckos wil die from stress if exposed to temperatures that exceed the the mid 80's if they don't have a place to cool down for thermoregulation. In the wild under the heavy forests it rarely exceed your avg room temp and very little UV come through. If I were you I would try my best to lower your cage temp, sure ther're might not be problems now but soon there can and will be. They say that brief periods of 85 or lower are ok, so long as the gecko can have a place thats cooler to escape to. Sorry to burst your bubble again, and I dont want to seem mean but they dont come across squash or any vegetable in the wild, so fruit is better. However I cant see anything wrong with squash though, but I would give it more as a treat.

Crested Geckos are nocturnal, the UV wont hurt them and it will help them tell when day and night is. It might enhance the color just a little and it most certainly could aid in D3 metabolism, but studies show its not required.They like temps around 74-78 at day time and about 68-75 at night. They need to be misted regulatly and kept at humididty around 70%. They may learn to drink from a bowl but will usually lick it off the plants and glass after a misting. Adults require a 20 gallon tall and youngins need about a 10 gallon. T-rex crested gecko diet is a great food and rep cal supplements are good also. They eat crickets and babyfood, for a juvenile they require about 70-80% crickets and about 20-30% fruit. As adults about 40-60%crickets and 40-60 fruit. Mine loves peach babyfood and sometimes he'll eat pear and banana for me. Very tame after a while, and they poop about once a day or so. Try to clean the poop once you see it cause it gets kinda stinky and dirty after a while.

REptile shows are great, be sure to ask the vendor a bunch of quetions first! Hope this helps, please post any other questions you might have!

13. GeckoQueen_57

GeckoQueen_57 Embryo

Yep Jeffreh rocks! 8) (we got our cresties to love the t-rex powder by mixing in some unsweetened applesauce) as a special treat we give a very small amount of hummingbird necter.

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Very good mixture, I do the same when I get the chance. That necter is great for them aswell and I think gives them a little more spring for some reason. He really goes for it faster than the babyfood which is pretty hard to believe. I give it as a treat too, but thats maily cause we don't always have it in stock, We dont keep the hummingbird feeder.... well fed if you know what I mean, so he usually gets it only a few times a month unfortunatley. The applesauce is good also, nice idea with the mixture, I mix peach with my crested gecko diet cause most of the time hes stubborn about eating it plain. Man I talk to much dont I, sorry