Crested Gecko Price?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by ExSxP, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

hey guys i was just wondering what an appropriate price for a crested gecko is? i'm purchasing a young harliquin/dalmation on Saturday Jan 7. The breeder stated that the price is $120 (CND) Is it totally inappropriate to ask for a lesser price? hopefully somebody can help me out!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. Remember, they had to incubate and raise the hatchlings, plus for a harliquin prices are higher, because they are a rarer morph. They also have no idea how the colour will turn out, or if it will be male or female. So really you could be getting an amazing coloured gecko who turns out to be female. And if the breeder was to sell it, it would be alot higher than 120.
    I got mine for 125 each (the harliquins).

The breeder may or may not lower the price, it could be standard. If word get out that s/he lowered the price, everyone will be wanting a lower and lower price. The gecko also only lay two eggs/month, so you have to put that into the equation. Not like some reptiles that lay 20.

If you don't mind, what breeder are you getting it from? I haven't seen many from BC.

Eme Demiri likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

The price is significantly raised when a gecko becomes sexable. A normal unsexed ussually runs about fifty. If its sexed thats about a normal price i would say, you could find better prices, but if its from a reputable breeder, it might be worth it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

i believe it hasn't been sexed yet...but the breeder (her name's Janette, she owns a tattoo parlour in Vernon B.C...i talked with her on the phone and she seemed very knowledgable about cresties...apparently she has quite a few hatchlings) said that its likely that the one i'm getting is male because they were incubated at higher temperatures (not sure if its a factor with cresties or not) Its really hard to find crested geckos in B.C, especially in the Kelowna area..so i might just go for it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

The price seems fair, I don't know much funds differ from dollars, but dalmations are always a little bit more.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BigZ3788

it has not been proven that temp sexing can be achived with cresties.

12. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

Re: RE: Crested Gecko Price?

thanks for clearin that up i was kinda curious

13. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Crested Gecko Price?

There has been research done that if the eggs are incubated between some temp, there is a higher ratio of females - like 3-1. or 2-1. Same for males. But it has yet to be proven to be right, only some breeders reporting thats what has happened. I can't remember the temps tho.
    Only thing with higher temps is that the eggs will hatch out sooner.

14. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

Re: RE: Crested Gecko Price?

I would go for it your not going to find it any cheeper and if you get it shipped its like 30-40 for shipping overnight across canada or from the states so even if you get one for 50-60 its allmost 100 anyways... I know of a breeder in Mission BC but the cheepest cresty they have right now is 100 so ya shipping would make it about the same price... plus with shipping you have no idea what happens durning travel

15. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

125 is a little high for a male. There has been a lot of research into temperatures and sex. As my sis said they only have narrowed it down to ratios, which are 68-72 more females, 78-82 more males, and inbetween it is usually a 50-50 split. However since it isn't sexed yet 125 is a reasonable price in Canada.

16. crusty1

crusty1 Member

i paid 175 for my fire crested domation (if thats right spelling) gecko
    different morphs different prices...basic cresteds start at 90-100 Canadian
    and go up to 200 250

17. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

well I have 4 eggs right now and I plan on jsut selling them really cheap, I am thinking of selling them for about 60-80$
    I have to wait and see what their morphs are...the parents were a buckskin pinstrip dalmation mom and a Red dad

18. twitch3

twitch3 Member

i bought my dark fire/blonde harlequin from a good breeder and trust me there is a drought of females in my area,making males more expensive.ratio for my area is 7-1 males-females.so anywhere from 100-150 is good for me

19. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

thanks haha...i bought him for meh 120...i couldn't resist..the lady was so nice and helpful and i knew she cared for him a lot. He was totally worth the money :)

20. BigZ3788

Cool any pics?

21. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

yes would love to see some :)

22. kephy

kephy Moderator

I paid $150 USD plus $50 shipping for a little unsexed lavendar harlequin/dalmation/pinstripe. Turned out to be male. I think he was worth every penny. I think you'll be very happy and have no regrets at all. :D

kelsey likes this.
  23. kelsey

kelsey Embryo

i just got a gorgeous solid cream back harlequin for $280 but he came with a gorgeous creamiscle female. unfortunately they where from a pet store and of course both had parasites. the female is likely gravid because they where housed together previously and their eggs hatched out to be solid cream on their dorsal with gorgeous harly markings on the sides ( i coulda sworn one of them looked like a pinner). i plan on breeding them after their parasite is all cleared up and their healthy again (they where being fed baby food :( )

but yes, even if it is a male harlequins are gorgeous morphs and if I where you, i'd snatch it up fast!

24. Luan Trieu

Luan Trieu Embryo

at reptile expo the gecko your looking for would be cheaper about 50 dollars and 30 dollars if its missing its tail.