Crested gecko keeps pooing when outside enclosure

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by deydey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. deydey

deydey Member

whenever I handle her she poos on me or wherever she is sitting. Not sure why this is my leo's never do it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I've found that the cresteds do this more often that other herps I've handled. I've found that it generally decreases as they get used to you and handling, but even some of my most docile cresties still poo now and then. It seems to also diminish as they get older

It's usually pretty easy to clean up, and I typically keep a paper towel handy when handling my guys. Eventually you'll pick up on the body language cues that tell you their going to go, they usually hold still and slightly lift their tail during the process...if you can pick up on this it can become quite easy to catch it with the paper towel for easy cleanup...because they almost "prepare" themselves before dropping the stool for just a second or two like that. I've found that they generally only go once when out, so if they do go at all and you can catch it like that, then the rest of the handling session should be poo free. =)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. alybaba11

alybaba11 Embryo

I have had mine for 2 days, and she has pooped twice outside the tank lol. BOTH times on my bed hha

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. teach920

teach920 New Member

Yes, I must admit, I was a bit surprised by this as well...I have owned Leos for several years, and never had any of my Leos do this,.... then I got my first Crestie about a couple months ago and those first few days it was pooping literally everytime she was picked up...luckily, that has almost stopped......I do know that for the first couple of weeks, it seemed to help that I would pick her up and actually hold her "inside" the tank....knowing that she would poop pretty quickly I kept a good eye on her movements, and once I saw she was abut to start I would set her on her ledge or on the bottom of the cage....after she did her business I would pick her back up and it wasn't an issue after that.....not sure if it is just "nerves" or what...but definitely something I was unaware of beforehand........and evidently a pretty common behavior for some Cresties...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

:) You have to admit, it's a pretty good defense. It's just their way of letting you know that they're not in the mood to be handled. As they get used to handling it eases up. My garg has peed on me several times, but she is nothing compared to the blood python!! :eek: