Cornsnake Enclosure

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by HadesBP18, Feb 8, 2005.

1. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

I'm so close to my cornsnake I can almost touch it! Not really, he's still in Florida. But anyways, I got his enclosure all set up for delivery hopefully this week (grumbles about mother). Anyways, as I was lying in bed, staring at it empty...I decided that it seemed a bit too small. It's a rubbermaid shoebox with the dimensions of about 11" for the length, 5 1/2" for the width or depth and 4" for the height. After a search of the house I came upon a 50 qt. container. So I brought it upstairs and proceeded to stare at it. After all that rambling here it is...is a 50 qt. plastic container too big for a hatchling cornsnake (born 8/6/04)? Will it stress it out? Am I better off with the smaller one for now? Is the small one TOO small? *runs out of breath*

Thanks to any and all who listened to my ramblings. Cheers.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Go with the larger one and add some extra hides and fake greenery.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. newtchaplin

newtchaplin Embryo

Hey I breed corn snakes in Canada and I put all my hatchlings into a 20 gallon tank. Put some aspin in and two hides and of course a heat pad under the tank. With all the room it wont stress them out and they will have alot of exercise. With them getting alot of exercise they will eat more and grow faster. I know someone that keeps their hatchlings in deli cups and their hatchlings only eat once a week one pinkie. You should be feeding them 2 pinkies every 3-4 days. With the heat pad under the tank they digest faster. Just my two cents

newt

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

IMHO.... two pinkies every three to four days is a bit too much. Given colubrids have faster metabolisms than boids do but that still is putting a lot of stress on a developing digestive system. Two pinkies every seven days would be more like it. As the snake gets older I would drop it back to one prey item that is barely larger than the thickest part of the snake once a week.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. newtchaplin

newtchaplin Embryo

who are you anyway

Ok im done with this stupid forum, who are you maderators anyway, what makes you think you know so much. Are you breeders of bearded dragon and Corn snakes? If not shut up on the topics. I produce top of the line corn snakes and my way seems to be the "way" like many other breeders. If you own one snake and you dont want them to grow fast then yes by all means take it slow. Just like the other moderator on the bearded dragon they say two males cant be together because they will kill eachother, thats bull ****. I think you people read one book then say what you learned for that one book. I have a pic of my friend beardie being best friends with a mouse, but they say that doesnt happen. Get over your selves.

To whom it may concern
    this forum should be taken off and all the moderators shot.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. trikemaster810

trikemaster810 Embryo

wow, lots of anger.