corn snake questions

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by cole11492, Aug 10, 2004.

1. cole11492

cole11492 Embryo

how much should i pay for a corn snake and how bad does it hurt to get bitten

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Markey

Markey New Member

These are very common questions lately....
    I think what you pay for a corn snake depends on where you live, which breeder or pet store you buy from, and what type of corn you decide to get. Some are more expensive than others.
    Up here, corns start at $49.99 and go up....
    As for getting bitten....I've seen someone get bitten several times by a hatchling (she was showing me how aggressive he was) and she laughed.
    I've read that it feels like a bee sting as the snake gets bigger, but I have not been bitten yet so I can't comment for sure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jackiet

jackiet New Member

my hatchling "acts" like he will bite me..... closed mouth strike at my hand....... one time I think he bit me, but it is too hard to tell, cause he is soooooooooo little.......... when I put him in his feeder tank he does this cool thing with his tail, mimicking a rattlesnake- shaking/vibrating the tail on the plastic sounds sooo much, like he has a rattle-- very cool!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. scarecrowking

scarecrowking Embryo

Had the 'tail-rattle' once with my snow corn, Molly. Thought I was hearing one of the cats messing with something in another room at first :D

As for biting, the snow tried it the first day I had her. Her little mouth was stretched as wide as it could around my index finger. Couldn't hardly feel it. As far as adult bites, I can't say, but I've heard that a little Neosporin and a Band-Aid will take care of the after effects. Let me know B)

Brian

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. susyq

susyq Member

if its rattling its tail at you it aint a happy camper lol, this is the usual behavour and is normally followed by a strike if you persist in trying to handle it my axeminster corn does it when i go to get her out, and yes shes had me a few times it was like being pricked by a needle :shock:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jackiet

jackiet New Member

I have seen "Normal" corn hatchlings start at $20 at the exotic specialty store here..... & at the same store, the highest price for a corn was $200+ for an adult proven breeder with some exotic patterns/coloration on it........
    My Hypomelanistic Corn hatchling cost $49, and Blizzard Hatchling cost $79..... the blizzard to date has been wonderful-- never tried to bite, perfect feeder... very mellow... The hypo. on the other hand--- is "nippish", & doesn't seem to be keen on humans..................